Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Child Support Ending...

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM
  • 52 Replies

My husband has 3 daughters. The oldest has graduated from HS and per the divorce decree CS for her ends. We have a court date to make it official. BM is freaking out, apparently she never read the order, insisting now for CS until they're all 25. How is everyone dealing with this?

BTW I don't have any sympathy. Why? Because I also have a daughter from a previous marriage that has graduated from HS and CS has ended. However, over these last 10 years, in preparation for this, I reurned to school, and have doubled my salary.

by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:51 AM
7 moms liked this
CS until the age of 25? She done bumped her head!? That's not gonna happen.
OvertiredMommy
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM
If the child turns 18 while still in high school. They will extend it till graduation or the child quits school. My mil has guardianship of ss and although he turns 18 @the end of this month, we have to pay till next June when he graduates.
CFSTBSM27
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:23 PM
Till 25 lol? Yea good luck with that
jules2boys
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Is CS ending or simply being reduced to cover the younger 2 girls? The courts won't require him to pay CS until all 3 girls are 25, that's absurd. If the CO states 18 and/or graduated from HS, it should be reduced now and any future he'll he provided is directly to his DD, by his choice.

I like Glocks response. She's done hit her head. :)
MBanks524
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

If he paid child support for his child that is over 18 the money would go directly to the child not the BM.  I think she is being greedy and should not expect it anymore.  She is not taking care of a child that is 18, that child is an adult.  The BM needs to learn to support herself.

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:09 PM
5 moms liked this
Some COs say that if the child is in college, then CS is extended until the age of 21. I think that's fair since it's often the CP who does the majority of supporting the college kid financially. 25 is ludicrous.
cookiecutter17
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the input. I also had the same thought. Believe it or not some divorce decrees are written this way either the child finishes college or 25 whichever is later. I can't even imagine demanding that!

Luckily there is is only a few years left on the other 2.

Then we'll help them directly without their manipulating mother controling the $$$.

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Well some orders are for until college ends if child attends college, but they aren't going to change it now. That's something that she should have asked for when this went down.
WickedPissah
by Cup Cakes on Jul. 20, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Well she will be getting it for the other two.

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Maybe or maybe not. Just depends. If it is part of the divorce order she prob won't, as they have Long been divorced. But you can never say never. ^shrug^

Quoting WickedPissah: Well she will be getting it for the other two.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)