Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How hard is it to understand?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:35 AM
  • 10 Replies
I have a dog- small to medium size 20 pound Yorkie mix. He loves my kids & my kids know when to leave him alone (basically when he's tired).

BF's kids however do not know how to leave him alone. Even after being told not to mess with him several times. I serious have to tell them to not mess with the dog whenever they come over. But yesterday his 11yo was messing even after I said don't mess with him (all he was doing was petting him). My dog ended up nipping him on the hand. 11yo says "your stupid dog bit me". I was actually right there when it happened so I know why he got bit. I told him if he hadn't been messing it wouldn't have happened.

Today I have to take 2 of my kids to the Dr. My 18yo DS will be here with BF's boys as will my 14 & 13 yo DDs. BF's 8yo really doesn't listen & sticks his face in the dog's face when told to leave him alone. He even back talks & says he's just petting him. So I look right at the 8yo (who is petting the dog- but the dog did lay next to him & lick him) & I told the 8yo "I'm taking the boys to the dr. I do not want to come home & hear that the dog bit you because you couldn't leave him alone. And if that happens you're going to have to explain to your dad why you got bit!" (BF is at work).

IDK but I would think that getting nipped at world teach them the first time. But this happens everyone they come over!
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bubbles2014
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Some children need major consequences to drive a point home.

Also, this is partially a DH problem. He needs to get it into their heads that they are not to mess with the dog. Getting bit is a consequence.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Maybe instead of telling the kids not to "mess" with the dog, be specific with what they are not to do. Even when, after all this time, they should know what "mess" entails, being specific didn't give them an out.

Or just let the dog "teach" them itself but be prepared for backlash from DH and/or BM if they feel it was excessive, even after multiple warnings.

I agree though, this is something DH should enforce with his kids to avoid injury.
jlg12678
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I find nothing more annoying than kids who haven't been taught to handle animals/pets with respect. I would be all up on my boyfriend/husband/whatever to teach his kids otherwise. At eight, the kid should know better than to stick his face in the dog's...my kid knew better than to do that when he was toddler. What happens if he gets bit in the face? Everyone gets pissed about the dog and it ends up getting put to sleep when the true issue was the kid was being an asshole towards it and it reacted as any animal would.

Sorry for the vent...I volunteer on occasion at the shelter and can't tell you how many times good dogs end up there after getting too rough with the kids in their family. I see the adults and the kids and how they behave towards the animal (letting the kids crawl all over it/get in it's face/bothering it while it eats) and it's no surprise the animal reacted as they did. Most are absolutely fine when handled by normal people.

I don't think I'd leave him unsupervised around my pets at all. Do you have anyone else who could watch him?

beckyv1972
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I had an incident where a neighbor boy would run the fence teasing my dog. Well, I started watching this boy at my home, I had about 3 neighborhood kids and my two. They were all outside playing, (dog was outside too) all the kids went running in a group and my dog singled this boy out of the group and grabbed (not bit) his upper arm and slowed him to a stop. (he never fell down, she didnt jerk him) No open wound, no blood, just a mark left on his arm. Well, after telling his mom that he would continuously tease her through the fence and letting her know she (dog was up to date on shots) she completely understood why the dog did it. The boy never teased her again. Some kids learn the hard way.

beckyv1972
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Quoting jlg12678:

I find nothing more annoying than kids who haven't been taught to handle animals/pets with respect. I would be all up on my boyfriend/husband/whatever to teach his kids otherwise. At eight, the kid should know better than to stick his face in the dog's...my kid knew better than to do that when he was toddler. What happens if he gets bit in the face? Everyone gets pissed about the dog and it ends up getting put to sleep when the true issue was the kid was being an asshole towards it and it reacted as any animal would.

Sorry for the vent...I volunteer on occasion at the shelter and can't tell you how many times good dogs end up there after getting too rough with the kids in their family. I see the adults and the kids and how they behave towards the animal (letting the kids crawl all over it/get in it's face/bothering it while it eats) and it's no surprise the animal reacted as they did. Most are absolutely fine when handled by normal people.

I don't think I'd leave him unsupervised around my pets at all. Do you have anyone else who could watch him?

Agree with this. My kids were taught to ask permission to touch ppls dogs. The funny thing is my oldest Dd was walking home with a friend and asked a lady to pet a lab. She said yes, and after her friend petted it she reached down to pet it and it bit right through her hoody, shirt and left a sore. She has NO luck with dogs even though she loves animals. She was also bit on the nose by a yorkie when she was a toddler. LMAO

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:22 PM

this is why i tell my SO it isnt my kids responsbility to watch his kids. lol.

Linagma03
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM

My youngest bothers the 2 little dogs that we have. I finally told her that if the dog bites her I will give HER a spanking. Our Pom gives her warnings when he's had enough and if she doesn't heed his warnings he would snap but not even towards her. Now he warns her by doing his soft growl a couple times then he just bites her and when she tells me he bit her she gets a hard swat on the butt. The thing is the Pom loves the heck out of her but gets tired of the way she loves on him after awhile. I tell her often to leave him alone but she has lots of days where she just keeps going. The Chi that we have just runs away from her most of the time.

KarmaBusDriver
by ChiefBottleWasher on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM

As an owner of a 175 Lb. Great Dane, it isn't anyone elses responisbility but my own to teach children or even other adults the appropiate way to touch and treat my dog so people don't get hurt.

Your situation is no different, it isn't about getting to Dad to teach his kids (although he needs to have your back and help when is present - but if he isn't physcially present- the teaching is on you)  Even if that means separating the kids from the dog.

You would think they would learn by being nipped at once..but well maybe it's going to take a few times - but protect your fur baby!

xojeany
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:59 PM

You need to take better precautions so that the dog does not bite one of the children in the face, to protect your dog. You obviously know that the children aren't listening. However, if one of them gets bit and is injured and has to go to the hospital, you dog could be in danger of being put down. It's a sad reality, and I don't agree with it, but that's how it is. I would make sure that the dog was seperated from his kids when they are over. Let BF know that he needs to get on to his own kids and enforce them NOT messing with the dog at all. If they will not listen, then they lose ALL privileges of messing with the dog at ALL. Petting or not. No touching at all. Then explain that the reason you are changing this rule is because you do not want them to get hurt. They may have a different respect for you if they see that you actually care about THEIR well being, instead of think you are just trying to boss them around. "You're not my mom...I don't have to listen to you" type of mentality is probably why they aren't listening. Let them see you care and they may come around. Just my suggestion. Good luck!

XXanonymousXX
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM
This would drive me absolutely nuts. In my home animals are to be treated with the same respect as humans. If my dog doesn't want to be touched or bothered she has that option, just as SD does.

It took a while of explaining to SD that animals feel just like she does. Of asking her if it's okay for me or DH to do to her what she is doing to the dog. I (or should I say the dog) was lucky that her dad was already raising her to respect animals, so it wasn't a huge issue.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)