Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what happens to child support if each parent has a child.

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM
  • 11 Replies

my dh has 2 kids. ages 14 and 16 the 14 yr old will be living with us (  yay ) thats what 14 yr old wants and the 16 yr old will stay living with bm. so what will happen to child support? we ive in NH and i tried looking it up its hard to find any answers. i just need an idea i guess.  my dh will be filing with the courts so its noted in the recoreds.

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:31 AM
It could be done away with OR the parent who makes more money could end up paying some CS to the other parent. Possibly if the parent making more money is covering all health insurance, the parent making less could end up paying CS.

It really depends on so many factors including your individual county's views on CS, so it's hard to say. Do you leave it up to the judge and the calculator or make an agreement out-of-court to be signed in court...
SKW86
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

IMO CS should be cut down for him having 1 of the kids living with him.

Noname3
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:02 PM
In our state, child support stopped in that event
MBanks524
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I wouldn't think there would be child supprt. 

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:19 PM
There's a formula for that. Google a cs calculator for your state.
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:41 PM

id say it probably depends who makes more, if one makes a lot more than they still might have to pay some.

chasinrainbows
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM
In GA, a child support worksheet is done up of each kid. One with BM as custodial for the kid she is keeping and one with your DH as custodial for the kid he is keeping. Then if there is a difference in the final child support amount, it is subtracted from the higher amount. That will determine if or who has to pay...if anything at all.
QX56momma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Depends on the state, in our state even though each parent has a child, the one that makes the most still has to pay a little something according to the formula.

Tinamarie1969
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:35 PM
Nj is the same way it's A calculation based on income and overnights . But. You have to go back to court to get it adjusted and it's only retroactive to the date of filing unless you both agree to go to date of the change. Lawyers win.
sara82lee
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:42 PM
Here they calculate for each kid and subtract. If there is a difference, someone will pay it.

Quoting chasinrainbows: In GA, a child support worksheet is done up of each kid. One with BM as custodial for the kid she is keeping and one with your DH as custodial for the kid he is keeping. Then if there is a difference in the final child support amount, it is subtracted from the higher amount. That will determine if or who has to pay...if anything at all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)