Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

women's lib and stepmother hood

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:06 PM
  • 43 Replies
I'm seeing with women's liberation men expect us to work outside of the home and still take care of the kids. THEIR kids.

Also, I seen a trend in men feeling a step mom should be financially responsible for their kids.

I guess I'm old fashioned but I think a man should take care of a woman and her kids not vice versa.

I just cannot grasp how DH and some other men I'm reading about think.
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kss12
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:12 PM
Ok in my opinion husbands work and bring the money home. This is how I was raised and this is how my life is now. Dh cares for me, our son and ss (paying cp to bm)
With that said, if I came into the relationship with kid(s) I would not expect him to pay for my child as well, that is what the bio dad is for.
When I worked, prior to having our son, we had our joint account that both paychecks would go into. Out of that would come all expenses, for myself, dh and ss. That's what worked for us.
soooowhatnow
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:16 PM
I agree. I do see more step dad's taking care of step kids financially especially if the dad is a deadbeat but now I'm reading and I have experienced more men expecting their wives to provide for their kids.
I personally am fighting this battle and I see so many other women on this board in the same boat.

Where is this thinking coming from?
mostlyharmless
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:16 PM

It's no one's job to support you just because you put out. Like, seriously...? 

whatIknownow
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:19 PM
5 moms liked this

It is your responsibility to choose a partner who has the same philosophy about your role as you have.

soooowhatnow
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:24 PM
Not just me. I have read about two other women I'm similar situations
GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not seeing that.  Then again, I married a man who was actively taking care of his child before he met me.  Men like your spouse are not a new trend.  There have always been sorry ass men and there always will be sorry ass men.  Boot him OP, find a better one.

Also, I disagree.  It isn't a man's job to take care of a woman and her kids from a previous relationship either.  That is called a gold digger.

amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:31 PM
2 moms liked this
DH and I do not have traditional roles. I work full time and am the sole breadwinner for for our family right now. DH is in cosmetology school right now but has been a SAHD twice because it was best for our family at the time.

He has no issue working and he has never asked, much less expected me to do the things I do. He helps out around the house and splits childcare related responsibilities with me.

I want to work. I would not want to be with a man who expected to take care of me while I'm at home. I'm not a believer in "the man is the head of the household" either. I'm not bashing because everyone has a different feel of what's right for them. That just would not suit my personality.

Women's lib means that women should be free to choose what type of role/lifestyle/partnership/job they want to have. I am happy with what I chose.
CFSTBSM27
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:40 PM
If you want to live like that you should marry a man who wants the same. I work more hours than DH but he definitely makes more money than I do. He takes care of SD just fine. We take care of eachother. I do more of the household things but it certainly does not mean DH doesn't cook dinner or clean/do laundry etc.
I have a huge problem with women that just expect to be "taken care" of... Women should be able take care of themselves.
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM

That is certainly not what I see on this forum the majority of the time. Most of the posters here are SAHM SM's who wont lift a finger to help their hubby but enjoy the luxury of staying home on his dime and a lot of the time.....these women bring other mens children into this home!

I really havent seen dads wanting the SM to financially support the kids either. I see the SM blathering about how much of his money goes out the door to put nails on his ex and help her get her hair did.

Please....how long have you been here again?

jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Two other women is a 'trend'? Um... ok. 

Quoting soooowhatnow: Not just me. I have read about two other women I'm similar situations

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)