Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does being in a stepfamily bring out the worst in people?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM
  • 44 Replies

Recent examples from this board alone: 

"I would send the 3.99 in pennies"

Telling your gf  it's okay to backhand your child.

Complaining about not being able to see personal information.

Saying it isn't the job of whoever holds the private information to keep it safe from those who could misuse it.

Wanting to take a kid from mom because of a rash and a trailer.

These are just from today. 

Does being in a blended family just bring out the worst, make people not think?

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:08 PM
5 moms liked this
I think it can. But I also think those kinds of people already have issues. Are conflicted people to begin with. I don't think being in a stepfamily brings out the worst in people - I think these types of people are already wallowing in their own turmoil.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:11 PM
4 moms liked this

Nothing to do with being in a stepfamily, mean people exist, step or not.

pepper504
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momof2ex1: I think it can. But I also think those kinds of people already have issues. Are conflicted people to begin with. I don't think being in a stepfamily brings out the worst in people - I think these types of people are already wallowing in their own turmoil.

Bolded above is exactly what it is.

oldproatthis
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM
3 moms liked this

I work in a hospital all day...no, stepfamilies don't bring out the worst...stress and tension does...being sick, death and dying does, by far.

Uncooperative, nasty meddling people are just that...and when pushed, get worse.

BrandiGra
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:17 PM
I think when you are dealing with children, children of a loved one and money it can bring out the worst in people.
jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

This. 

Sort of like the old comedian/joke (I can't remember who said it) said about drinking/being drunk.  Alcohol intensifies your personality.. but, if you're already an asshole, alcohol just makes you a worse one.  ;)  Same with this sort of stuff.  If you're already conflicted, angry, bitter, etc., being in a stepfamily doesn't 'help' you calm down, it just gives you more fodder to work with. ;) 

Quoting momof2ex1: I think it can. But I also think those kinds of people already have issues. Are conflicted people to begin with. I don't think being in a stepfamily brings out the worst in people - I think these types of people are already wallowing in their own turmoil.

mrsd2013
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it can too.  People don't always react well in stressful or emotional situations.  Women let their emotions make there decisions for them sometimes.  But I agree with momsof too.  I think it's been said here before, 'people in happy situations aren't really coming here to talk about it.'

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM
3 moms liked this

There are many people in happy situations here, some had minor challenges as most people have in life but a post about something happy doesn't get many responses here.

Quoting mrsd2013:

I think it can too.  People don't always react well in stressful or emotional situations.  Women let their emotions make there decisions for them sometimes.  But I agree with momsof too.  I think it's been said here before, 'people in happy situations aren't really coming here to talk about it.'

Career Woman, Wife and Mother of Two Children, a Girl and a Boy.

TheEms
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I vote Yes and for those who claim everything is fine and dandy are fooling themselves.

CFSTBSM27
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe it can. It's a situation where emotions run high in general unless your in a perfect world.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)