Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adult Steps

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:54 PM
  • 22 Replies
My Skids are now adults, not married, no kids, out of the house living on their own since they went off to college. Since the health insurance change SS just recently got taken off and we still have SD on DHs insurance. SD is in town to have a dental procedure done and DH wants SD to pay for it. I particularly don't think she should have and I have no good reasons as to why I don't think she should other than I tend to spoil my kids and besides its a medical/dental procedure its not like she wants a new car or anything.

Since she is an adult, should I go with DH and say she should pay for it?
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:55 PM

How old is she and is she financially stable on her own?

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Is it something she can afford on her own, or does she need help? If she needs help, and you guys have it and want to help, I don't see why you shouldn't. But, that should be a decision you and your DH come to together.

RocknBug
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:03 PM
She is 25 and yes she is financially stable.

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

bonusmum
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:05 PM

she can pay for it. she's 25!

momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Then it is time to be an adult. 

Quoting RocknBug: She is 25 and yes she is financially stable.
Quoting momof2cuteboys:

RocknBug
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Yes this is something she can afford on her own and won't hurt her financially. She isn't asking for help nor does she know I want us to pay for it for her. DH thinks that since she is an adult on her own she should pay for it herself. I'm hoping to convince him to at least pay half if not all.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Is it something she can afford on her own, or does she need help? If she needs help, and you guys have it and want to help, I don't see why you shouldn't. But, that should be a decision you and your DH come to together.

Seychelles1409
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:12 PM

25.   Financially stable.    Adult.     No need to spoil SD.    She is DH's daughter; not yours.   Do it his way.  

RocknBug
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:23 PM
What would you say if DH would have no qualms about, it wouldn't even be a question, paying for it if it was SS needing the procedure. I'll agree she needs to be responsible, heck I was married and had my own career at her age. I think maybe I just feel like he needs to give her a break.

I don't agree with DHs kids his decision because they are my kids too, I didn't birth them but I can say I love them more then the one who did. They have told me themselves I am as much their mom as their dad is their dad, so I do think I should have some say.
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Well, then I say talk to him about how he feels.

I don't see anything wrong with doing things for your kids just because you can. I'm 30 and my parents still sometimes surprise me with financial help. It's nice when it happens, and honeslty, it means more to me as I know they are just doing something kind out of thegoodness of their heart.

BUT, I again stress that this is a decision that you and your DH need to agree on.

Quoting RocknBug: Yes this is something she can afford on her own and won't hurt her financially. She isn't asking for help nor does she know I want us to pay for it for her. DH thinks that since she is an adult on her own she should pay for it herself. I'm hoping to convince him to at least pay half if not all.
Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

mylilsunshine
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 5:40 PM
She's 25 for crying out loud. She needs to pay for it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)