Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do your skids have chores?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM
  • 32 Replies

Do your skids have chores when they are at your house?  

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
No
She comes once a week. What chores she can have?
The only thing she has to go - throw her trush in trush bin and put the dishes, she used, in the sink.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this

2 SS's and my oldest have chores. They empty the dishwasher, set the table, help clean up from dinner, sweep, clean their bathroom, scoop the litter box and feed the animals.  They each have a day and rotate oldest to youngest. 

My youngest helps with as much as he can.  He's still in the phase where it's fun for him.

jandj4
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Not really. All the kids put there own laundry away and keep up with there messes but we don't do chores. If something needs to be done and I can't get to it whoever is near by will be asked to get that done for me but I don't assign any
Annellyse
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, make his bed and keep his room clean.  He and DS are being put in charge of cleaning their bathroom since they keep peeing all over and putting poopy toilet paper in our trash can.  He and DS are also in charge of taking out the recycling and clearing their own spot at the table.

ETA- DH is custodial so SS is here the majority of the time. 

Bubbles2014
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Just keep their rooms clean, take dishes to sink, keep bathroom sink clean. SS to strip and remake bed if he wets thru pullup and plastic pants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiafez
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

no, he was only here every other weekend. but he was expected to keep his room tidy, put dishes in the dishwasher if he used them, make his bed, and pick up after himself. I'd usually save one lad of laundry to do Sat. night so if his clothes were in the basket he'd find them clean and folded on the table Sunday morning. Unless we were busy, then he'd take them home dirty. 

Sept-babies2
by Patriot's Fan on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Not really. Other than cleaning up their toys and any trash I normally do the big stuff. Sd is 5 and my bio kids are 4 and 2. So they dont have set chores..sd is here every day so maybe when they are a little older I could give them each a chore but for now if I ask for help they do. Like the turtle we just got a few weeks ago..sd wante the turtle and mil paid for everything so we got it. Although I dont mind but Im the one taking care of it. Sd was more than willing to help me clean the tank out. So little stuff like that they do.
oddessy5
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

My 13yo SD has the chore of taking out the compost when she's here.  She is seldom here so there isn't a lot I can ask of her.  DH likes to keep things light and fun to keep her away from the drama that so easily comes along with teenage girls (ours has a bunch of issues at her BM's house).  I get pretty upset as my 6yoDD has a MUCH cleaner room than DSDs.  I respect her space and don't go into her room, but I know it's a disaster! And she is constantly leaving stuff including dirty dishes all over our very tiny house, it gets really frustrating when I feel like I constantly have to ask her to pick up after herself. 

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes, but they live here full time.  Everyone contributes.

I think it's a tad unrealistic to assign chores or expect chores on an EOWE schedule.  However, I don't think it's asking too much to request assistance with this or that when it's part of a daily routine (i.e., helping with dishes after dinner). 

ETA:  Chores, in my book, does not include picking up after oneself.  Reading comments about dirty dishes in bedrooms, belongings scattered all over the house, etc., just sounds like a poorly run show to me.  We don't permit food outside of the kitchen/dining areas, and even if the SKs were only here EOWE, that would not change.  I think I would have a hard time if I were an EOWE SM with a DH who didn't subscribe to that protocol, not necessarily in terms of struggling to get kids on board but in terms of getting him to take care of any resulting mess to my standard.

Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

yes but I don't consider them chores....put your dishes in the sink/rinse

clothes go in the hamper if dirty,in the dresser if clean

keep the bedroom clean

keep the living room clean

basic stuff like that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)