Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Does anyone know this?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:58 PM
  • 49 Replies

Is there any way to protect health insurance from being abused by a Non-Custodial parent?

Reason for question:

DH provides insurance through his job, always has b/c of a CO. BM has never had to pay anything for Medical because she would just get State Medical on top of DH's. Now that DH has custody, there is no longer any State Medical, because DH and I don't believe we are in need of the State's help in that way. Anyways, BM is now trying to take charge of all medical appointments, and scheduling ones that DH doesn't necessarily agree with. She doesn't take care of Co-pays, and is saying that she's going to be bringing them to appointments that seem unnecessary.

I'm just wondering if we can protect it, in case BM does other things that use up the insurance, i.e. Unneeded trips to the E.R. or something like that. 

Do we most likely have to contact our insurance company? I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with something so strange like this? 

by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:12 PM
Who has legal custody? Is it joint deision making rights?

The way it works is either the parents have 50/50 (where,they have to agree on medical stuff that is a non-emergency) or one parent (the CP) has sole decision making rights.
lovelymomma87
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:20 PM

DH has Full Physical, and they share Legal (not sure what that means exactly).

My understanding is that the person with the the majority of the custody is the main decision maker, but since Legal is shared, BM is supposed to weigh in on major decisions only, I thought anyways. 

Quoting Tinkerbellmama: Who has legal custody? Is it joint deision making rights? The way it works is either the parents have 50/50 (where,they have to agree on medical stuff that is a non-emergency) or one parent (the CP) has sole decision making rights.

amantonacci
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:30 PM
If it's not medically necessary the insurance carrier will not pay the provider and ultimately dad and mom will be responsible for that bill
sickofdrama
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Not sure. Our baby mama is a doctor, and has a same sex partner who's a lawyer, and she has somehow figured out a way to get free medical for my stepson, and free lunches. It's disgusting. We're barely getting by, robbing peter to pay paul, and she just had her son call our house yesterday, and ask for $20, to take a girl out to a movie. He's 12!!! WTF??

lovelymomma87
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:57 PM

That's not necessarily true, insurance will be billed for an E.R visit, regardless of reason. They'll be charged for tests at the doctors, even if those tests aren't helpful.....

Quoting amantonacci: If it's not medically necessary the insurance carrier will not pay the provider and ultimately dad and mom will be responsible for that bill

lovelymomma87
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Sad :-(

Yeah, BM thinks that the State should be paying for the childrens Medical, not her, she's flat out SAID that to DH "I shouldn't have to pay anything, if you had them on MA, it would all be covered". We have paid for a broken arm and glasses, those aren't cheap things....No CS to help with anything, Dh handles it all, I'm not able to work, it wouldn't be monetarily worth it :-(

Quoting sickofdrama:

Not sure. Our baby mama is a doctor, and has a same sex partner who's a lawyer, and she has somehow figured out a way to get free medical for my stepson, and free lunches. It's disgusting. We're barely getting by, robbing peter to pay paul, and she just had her son call our house yesterday, and ask for $20, to take a girl out to a movie. He's 12!!! WTF??

DDDaysh
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:15 PM
Sometimes either parent can make decisions, it's not always by agreement. In that case, they really have no way to prevent BM FROM racking up all the bills she wants.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama: Who has legal custody? Is it joint deision making rights?

The way it works is either the parents have 50/50 (where,they have to agree on medical stuff that is a non-emergency) or one parent (the CP) has sole decision making rights.
amantonacci
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:51 PM
I assumed you meant doctors office appointments that how it came off in the op

Quoting lovelymomma87:

That's not necessarily true, insurance will be billed for an E.R visit, regardless of reason. They'll be charged for tests at the doctors, even if those tests aren't helpful.....

Quoting amantonacci: If it's not medically necessary the insurance carrier will not pay the provider and ultimately dad and mom will be responsible for that bill

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Use up the insurance?
LiveInTheNow
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:53 AM

Agree with this statement, but if BM takes them BM will be billed first. They will try every means possible to get the money from her including hitting her credit hard before they contact you most likely. Best of luck since we are dealing with a similar situation.

Quoting DDDaysh: Sometimes either parent can make decisions, it's not always by agreement. In that case, they really have no way to prevent BM FROM racking up all the bills she wants.
Quoting Tinkerbellmama: Who has legal custody? Is it joint deision making rights? The way it works is either the parents have 50/50 (where,they have to agree on medical stuff that is a non-emergency) or one parent (the CP) has sole decision making rights.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)