Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

What do you think should happen? *possible trigger*

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:43 PM
  • 33 Replies
Yesterday an 11 month old baby died in my state, because her mother "forgot" she was in the car and left her there for hours. The mother claims that she was out of her normal routine. Usually she doesn't take the baby with her when she drops her older boys off to school, but did this morning. There was construction by her home so she had to park down the street when she returned. She had to pee really bad and just hurried into her home. She works from home, so went in her office, thinking she had laid her baby down for a nap. Two hours go by and the mother goes to pick up her older son, finding her baby in the car, dead.

This mother has not been charged yet, and they don't know if she will be. Do you think she should be charged?

For me, I can't wrap my mind around it. I can't imagine leaving my sweet babies in the car. They are the first ones that come out of the car. Have you ever had a close call like this and want to share? What do you think about this situation?
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I don't get it either...

malinda74
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Its a terrible tragedy.
LiveInTheNow
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Yes, she should be charged. I dont have children of my own, but wouldnt even leave my pets in the car, let alone forget my child was in there.

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

It is a tragedy and I have heard an attorney on CNN admit it had happened to her once but she was lucky and I know another mother whose child is now an adult admit it happened to her and she was lucky her son was older so he spoke up when she was heading away. 

packermom4ever
by Still The Queen on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:22 PM

I don't understand how you just forget your child. 

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

There but for the Grace of God, go I.

aheasley
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:46 AM

What does she do with the baby when she drops the older children off at school? I will never understand forgetting your child in the car. Honestly what you have told of the story does not add up. When did she think she put the child down for a nap? how do you not know. was there another adult in the home. If so why didn't that person notice the baby missing?

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:02 AM

Not nearly as horrible or even close, but I remember once leaving the house, gettting DD2 1/2 in the car and starting the car up before realizing I had left DDnewborn in the house in her car seat.

I can't imagine the guilt of having your child die though.

bnovitzke
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM
2 moms liked this

I never understood this either until I had my 2nd child.  I was working 2 jobs without a regular schedule and my mom took the kids a lot.  Plus I was sleep deprived and felt a constant brain fog and frequent memory lapse.  

One weekend my husband and dad went to a football game.  My mom and I decided to take the kids out to eat.  Het car was at my house and she planned on going home after we ate so we drove to the restaurant in sseparate cars.  My 3 year old insisted on going with grandma.  I had to stop for gas but there was a back and forth discussion about the baby who was about 10 months old.  So my mom took my oldest and I took the baby.  

One thing to understand about my younger child is that she is really quiet...has been since birth.  I stopped for gas...probably deep in thought about chores to be done later or a shopping list running through my head.  I drove to the restaurant, got out, locked the door and walked to the front door before thinking, "holy crap!" My baby is in the car!  I ran back for her, opened the door and was greeted by a huge smile from my sweet little girl.  It wasn't summer and it was actually evening time.  I was thinking my mom had taken both kids after all. I only forgot about her for 3 minutes but still....when you are exhausted, stressed, trying to balance so many things....and you are out of routine....I can see how this happens.

BTW My kiddos are 7 and 4 years old and doing fine.  Although last year I took my oldest to elementary school, drove right by the preschool on my way home, forgetting to drop off my 4 year old (she went every other day and I was thinking it was an off day).  It wasn't until we pulled into our driveway that a little voice in the back seat told me,"No mom....I want to go to school."   She is still a quiet little thing but at least she speaks up now.

cdrainey3
by Cher on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:31 AM
I know, the story doesn't add up. I guess after she went pee, she went to her office to work, thinking she had laid her baby down for a nap. They said the mother usually asks the neighbor to watch the baby while baby naps so mother can go pick up her son. She got in the car, drove to pick up her son and didn't even notice the baby was in the car until AFTER she had picked up her son.

I just don't get it. I think there's got to be drugs an alcohol involved for you to do something that messed up. The news is all over it. About half the people here are furious and think she should be charged. The other half say "it was a simple mistake" and to give her a break.

Quoting aheasley:

What does she do with the baby when she drops the older children off at school? I will never understand forgetting your child in the car. Honestly what you have told of the story does not add up. When did she think she put the child down for a nap? how do you not know. was there another adult in the home. If so why didn't that person notice the baby missing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN