Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

SS won't play with DS

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:33 AM
  • 30 Replies
Ss12 has no interest in playing with ds2. Ss will sit on the couch while dh and I are having a conversation and just stares at us until we entertain him when his brother is playing on the floor. He could easily sit on the floor with his brother and hang out with him. Dh and I don't understand why he is like this. All of his friends almost instinctually play with ds.. Who can resist a baby?! Dh and I think it's jealousy. Sometimes it would be nice if ss went to play with ds while I cook, clean etc., but there is nothing like that. If I ask ss to play with ds he just sits on the floor like a blob of play dough. If ds is whining for attention, I'm cooking.. Ss is sitting on the couch just looking for me to shut ds up.
Anyone else have these issues? How did you correct? Is it normal?
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiafez
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM

you can't make him want to do it but you can suggest it? not everyone is baby friendly. My eldist is very uncomfy with little kids. It's just him. 

kss12
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Ss plays with other little kids in our neighborhood and is so good with them.
We suggest it and he goes and sits there as if he's taken a Xanax.

Quoting tiafez:

you can't make him want to do it but you can suggest it? not everyone is baby friendly. My eldist is very uncomfy with little kids. It's just him. 

amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:06 AM
I wouldn't play with a baby when it was a tween...
kss12
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Not even your sibling?
I just find it weird because all his friends come over and they're all over the baby, sit on the floor and play with him and talk to him, but his own brother won't.

Quoting amantonacci: I wouldn't play with a baby when it was a tween...
GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

This is normal.  Not everyone likes babies.  I am not a baby person...at all.  I loved my babies, and I just got my first granddaughter that I can't get enough of.  I think babies are really cute, and I will look at the pics of cuteness all day long and I will look at your sweet bundle in person all day long.  But, no, I don't want to hold or play with a strangers or acquaintances baby or toddler or preschooler. 

Correcting it?  Forcing SS to play with his baby brother may alienate him from his brother and that may be impossible to fix.  The sibling relationship needs to grow between them not forced on them. 

malinda74
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:13 AM
He is 12. Many teens/teens have limited interest in 2 year olds. I wouldn't read too much into it and don't force it.
GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I wouldn't either.  Like I said, not everyone is into babies. 

Quoting kss12: Not even your sibling? I just find it weird because all his friends come over and they're all over the baby, sit on the floor and play with him and talk to him, but his own brother won't.

kss12
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:19 AM
We see him playing with all the other babies/kids on our street, so clearly him not being "into babies" is not the case.
I'm with you, I don't like touching other peoples babies, let alone holding or playing with them.
I guess we just find it odd.
Even the want to help isn't there which is what we're more curious about. If I saw my mom, step mom whatever struggling to entertain the baby amongst doing things around the house I would jump in and help, when I was 12 I would have done the same thing. I was just that type, very into surroundings and wanting to help people.
I was an only child, and ss was til ds, I guess we just wonder what it is as he always said he wanted a sibling.

Quoting GlockMom:

This is normal.  Not everyone likes babies.  I am not a baby person...at all.  I loved my babies, and I just got my first granddaughter that I can't get enough of.  I think babies are really cute, and I will look at the pics of cuteness all day long and I will look at your sweet bundle in person all day long.  But, no, I don't want to hold or play with a strangers or acquaintances baby or toddler or preschooler. 

Correcting it?  Forcing SS to play with his baby brother may alienate him from his brother and that may be impossible to fix.  The sibling relationship needs to grow between them not forced on them. 

amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Nope not a sibling not a cousin... They're too far apart age wise

Quoting kss12: Not even your sibling?
I just find it weird because all his friends come over and they're all over the baby, sit on the floor and play with him and talk to him, but his own brother won't.

lovemywhiteshoe
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:30 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't play with babies. 2 minutes tops and I'm bored, I playednwith my ds because it came natural but I didn't even play with my neices and nephews much. Why is it weird that he doesn't want to play with someone 10 years youngernthan him. His friends probably play with the baby because the baby is not an constant in their lives whereas dss sees the baby frequently. What 12 year old wants to sit on the floor and play with an baby all day?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN