• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday Gift Ideas!

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM
  • 11 Replies

My stepson is having a birthday next month and will be 8 years old.  He seems to be in that stage where toys are now sitting in his closet, and games are more important. However we already have games and consoles. . .there is not much more to buy. . .

Does any one have any great ideas for boys? Outside toys or tablet idea. . .anything will help! 

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Nerf guns?  My boys love those and they are 7 and 11.    Science kits?  My kids have enjoyed the volcanno kits and electricity kits we have gotten them.. There is a chemistry kit they are eyeing I will probably get for Christmas ( you can get them at Hobby Lobby).  Or are there any events he would like to go to... Like monster trucks?

cdrainey3
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
When my ss was that age I got him a bike ramp. He loved it. I got it from toys r us or I'm sure amazon would have it. My dh just got him a long board (he's 11 now) and he loves that!
Popsicle_Feet
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM

BUMP!

sara82lee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Nerd guns, skateboards, remote control cars are all good ideas.

But I hear you on buying stuff that's going to sit in a closet. We try to take a special trip or doing some kind of outing for birthdays anymore instead.
Popsicle_Feet
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Yea, he also has a problem with destroying or losing toys that he plays with. The nerf guns are always broken because they play to rough, skateboards are lost, remote control cars are run over by being run over by other cars. It almost makes me not want to buy anything lol 

The road trip is a great idea. . .maybe six flags or something. Thanks!

Quoting sara82lee: Nerd guns, skateboards, remote control cars are all good ideas. But I hear you on buying stuff that's going to sit in a closet. We try to take a special trip or doing some kind of outing for birthdays anymore instead.

progressandjoy
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
SS just turned seven. He got tons of legos. He also got a nice remote control helicopter, which he really likes.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:36 AM
Legos - I like the remote control car idea also.

Nerf guns are great ideas. I usually buy two so two people can play.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MBanks524
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:21 AM
Legos are great. Nerf guns. Remote control cars. Kindle fire. IPod touch. Have him make a list.
whatIknownow
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 8:34 AM

A new bike?

jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 6:40 PM

When my boys were 8 (or there abouts) legos were always a hit, as were outdoor things (bikes, skateboards, water toys, etc.).  The remote control items were great for about 10 minutes, then they'd lose interest, so I stopped those.  Sometimes even gift cards are just great, as they're old enough to shop on their own, and spending their own 'money' they'll learn pretty quickly what something is really worth to them.  :) 

Trip to an amusement park is great too. Maybe him and a friend could go, to have that buddy with him on all the rides.  Water park if you live in an area that has some good options and it's still plenty warm enough to enjoy that all day/night. 

If he likes games, try looking for some of the older games out there (checkers, chess, monopoly, sorry, etc.) if you don't already have them.  My kids used to love (still do really) the 'old games' when we'd pull them out.  :)  They had the newer ones but loved trying out older ones too, and seeming surprised when 'everyone else' knows how to play them already (as if life didn't exist before them... LOL).  :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)