Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What age or when is a good time to have "THE" talk with my daughter

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM
  • 19 Replies

My daughter just started 7th grade. We talked briefly about periods because she step sis at her dad's just started. We were driving and we talked about periods and why girls get them, not sure how much to say I was starting to talk about how young ladies have "eggs" and she looked at me like I'm crazy? 

Any help on this subject would be great!!! :)

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DinoBug5959
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:21 PM

We've talked about these types of things since our kids were little. DD6 knows about periods and other things like that in her own language. I don't really think there's a set "talk" to have, just conversations to be had over time. 

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

i have kept an age appropriate running dialog since toddlerhood.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
She is 12/13 and you haven't gotten detailed and specific?

Kind of late so you better jump in with both feet and talk about everything.

Go to your nearby locally owned bookstore and buy every book you can find about puberty and sex Ed. Our Bodies, Our Selves us an excellent classic. The American Girl series are wonderful. Buy a book in male puberty.

Leave the books out. Read them yourself. Let her see you read them. And then just talk.
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I think 'the talk' occurs over time but the core issues should be done a little before puberty. I would use the maternal history and the child's development to time that.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Agree!  Talk to her ASAP!

Quoting pdxmum: She is 12/13 and you haven't gotten detailed and specific? Kind of late so you better jump in with both feet and talk about everything. Go to your nearby locally owned bookstore and buy every book you can find about puberty and sex Ed. Our Bodies, Our Selves us an excellent classic. The American Girl series are wonderful. Buy a book in male puberty. Leave the books out. Read them yourself. Let her see you read them. And then just talk.

dereah
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:32 PM
I teach 8th grade health and we cover everything for sex ed and so does our 7th grade class. It is definitely time for you to talk with her if you don't want others doing it first. There are a lot of resources available if you look at the book store.
soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:38 PM
I have had on going talks their entire lives my ODD started her period at 13 so waiting that long wouldn't have been an option anyway
whipped75
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Thanks found some books online going to bookstore at lunch :)

Quoting amonkeymom:

Agree!  Talk to her ASAP!

Quoting pdxmum: She is 12/13 and you haven't gotten detailed and specific? Kind of late so you better jump in with both feet and talk about everything. Go to your nearby locally owned bookstore and buy every book you can find about puberty and sex Ed. Our Bodies, Our Selves us an excellent classic. The American Girl series are wonderful. Buy a book in male puberty. Leave the books out. Read them yourself. Let her see you read them. And then just talk.

whipped75
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Thanks yes my son was talked to at school in class around 7 or 8th grade. I has hoping she was going to have some sort of class this year entering 7th grade. Going to buy some books, read them together, and if she has any questions we will talk about it. :)

Quoting dereah: I teach 8th grade health and we cover everything for sex ed and so does our 7th grade class. It is definitely time for you to talk with her if you don't want others doing it first. There are a lot of resources available if you look at the book store.

Peterrabbit
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:10 PM
You need to have the talk NOW. My dd and myself were in grade 6 when we got our periods. I was pregnant at 15. Talk about it all. She probably knows some from friends already
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)