Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Other than 'Mom',

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:12 PM
  • 25 Replies

Who decides what SM is called? If SM wants to be called Miss Lee or Mrs. Jones or Aunt Suzy, does Mom get a say in that?

Career Woman, Wife and Mother of Two Children, a Girl and a Boy.

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sara82lee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:17 PM
3 moms liked this
Unless you are asking for your skids to call you mommy, bm doesn't need to be a part of that at all. And I would venture to say that calling a step mom "mom" in some rare circumstances would also be acceptable and not something for bm to get a say in.

My skids just call me Sara.
Youngstepmom66
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Personally i think that is between you and the children. I feel it is whatever they are comfortable with. I told my step daughter that from the beginning. I told her she never HAD to call me mom. Right now she just calls me by my name. If in the future she decides different that's fine. I also was a step child. The first thing my step dad told me was i never had to call him dad. I now call him dad, on my own accord, and I greatly respect him for giving me that decision.

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Who decides what SM is called? If SM wants to be called Miss Lee or Mrs. Jones or Aunt Suzy, does Mom get a say in that?

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I would not allow my children to call SM bitch or anything else derogatory.  But other than that and the whole mom thingt, no, I don't get to have a say.  But those types of things aren't important to me.  I do know some parents are very traditional and do not wish their children to call adults by their first name.  Perhaps BM has a right there to request that SM have a salutation in front of her first name or to go by her last name.  I can see an argument for that.

soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

as long as it wasn't any form of mom and my child was not uncomfortable with the name I would not have any input on the name.

cdrainey3
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:24 PM
I suppose if sm isn't trying to take moms name, she can pick any name she wants.
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Why BM and not BD? Is that assuming BM is the primarily parent?

Quoting pdxmum:

I would not allow my children to call SM bitch or anything else derogatory.  But other than that and the whole mom thingt, no, I don't get to have a say.  But those types of things aren't important to me.  I do know some parents are very traditional and do not wish their children to call adults by their first name.  Perhaps BM has a right there to request that SM have a salutation in front of her first name or to go by her last name.  I can see an argument for that.

CFSTBSM27
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:31 PM
Mmmmm I guess I would say it's between DH and SK. In my situation BM encourages SF to be called "daddy" and she knows damn well DH does not like it....he will correct SD at our house if she says it but as far as the other house there's nothing we or a BM can really do in that situation (at least it's like that for us)
pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Of course Bf could ask that stepdad be Mr. Something instead of just Frank.  I thought your post was about whether BM had a say regarding what SM was called.

It doesn't matter to me who the primary parent is.

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Quoting pdxmum:

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Ok. I was just wondering if BM could overrule BD on the use of a salutation if it is a matter of respect.

Quoting pdxmum:

Of course Bf could ask that stepdad be Mr. Something instead of just Frank.  I thought your post was about whether BM had a say regarding what SM was called.

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Quoting pdxmum:

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I think you will find  I believe dad has the same rights to respect as mom does.  And dad's should have the same power as moms.

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Ok. I was just wondering if BM could overrule BD on the use of a salutation if it is a matter of respect.

Quoting pdxmum:

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Quoting pdxmum:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)