Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The countdown to adulthood, the stepkids'

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:51 PM
  • 22 Replies

How many years do you have left? How many are looking forward to when the children are adults and you or your spouse are no longer required to deal with the Ex?

Career Woman, Wife and Mother of Two Children, a Girl and a Boy.

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:54 PM

at least 10yrs for SS....I'm not worried about the ex...I already don't deal with her.

sara82lee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't imagine "dealing with the ex" ever really goes away, does it?

I can wait for adulthood. It seems like there is so much left to teach, and so little time...
Jadesmommy13
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:57 PM
2 years, but I haven't had to deal with her in years! Thank goodness! But it's about to get messy because she is allowing dss to drop out of high school so he can get a job and help more with his special needs brother (3) Dss failed classes last year because his mother kept him home just to take care of his little brother.
She doesn't work, lives with her mom with her 2 sons and gets foodstamps. The only income she has is from my Dh for his son.
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:57 PM

It does for some persons, some children don't even deal with their parents so I am pretty sure you don't have to deal with the Ex if you don't want to.

My DH's parents were never married and they only deal with each other because they are friends otherwise, DH would deal with them separately.

Quoting sara82lee: I don't imagine "dealing with the ex" ever really goes away, does it? I can wait for adulthood. It seems like there is so much left to teach, and so little time...

Career Woman, Wife and Mother of Two Children, a Girl and a Boy.

soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I have about 3ish for DS, 5 for ODD, and 9 for YDD till they are graduated from high school. I am not counting down because I am not looking forward to an empty nest.

sara82lee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Hmmm. Well the only dealing with bm that we usually do is helping sd cope with her relationship with her. I don't know that that will ever change.

That and court dates. At least there will for sure not be any more court dates :)

Quoting leegirl_jm:

It does for some persons, some children don't even deal with their parents so I am pretty sure you don't have to deal with the Ex if you don't want to.

My DH's parents were never married and they only deal with each other because they are friends otherwise, DH would deal with them separately.

Quoting sara82lee: I don't imagine "dealing with the ex" ever really goes away, does it?

I can wait for adulthood. It seems like there is so much left to teach, and so little time...

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:06 PM
With SD's special needs, I think we'll always have to deal with BM on some level. SD is 14.
MBanks524
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM
11 years but I don't think we will ever NOT have to deal with ex, and no I'm not looking forward to it. Kids grow to quickly and I'd like to enjoy it while I can.
kss12
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
6 per papers. 2 hopefully, which is when SS can choose which parent he lives with.
jlg12678
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
3.5 years. Wow, has time gone by fast.

As it stands my Dh limits contact/communication with bm now. It will be non-existent once the kids age out as he plans on dealing directly with them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)