Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

this is going to be a fun semester ..

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 4:16 PM
  • 25 Replies
I started classes yesterday. I can't say I particularly like any of my professors this year.

But there's one teacher in particular I wanted to tell you guys about.

She was introducing herself to the class and said she had one biological child. Then she said she had two 'bonus' children. She told the class to discuss what the term bonus child meant and then asked us, as a group, to discuss what it meant.

I guessed she meant bonus to child to mean stepchild (almost everyone else thought she was referring to her pets).

Cue a five minute tangent about how horrible it is to refer to steps as such. She told us as educators we need to refer to steps as 'bonus mothers,' 'bonus fathers,' and 'bonus children.'

I wanted to tell her she should join SMC.
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bubbles2014
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 4:24 PM
Oh dear lord lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
theshanster17
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 4:45 PM

What class was this for?

jules2boys
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Yes, what class is this and how does her having 'bonus' anything related to the class?  (sorry, I don't recall what you're going to school for)

Where'd she get her information about 'as educators you need to reer to steps as 'bonus' anything'? 

Maybe she SHOULD join SMC.  ;) 

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM
It's an education class that is required for my middle school education degree. I'm in my junior year, and this class is required by next semester so I can formally enter the final stages of the program.

Quoting theshanster17:

What class was this for?

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I think she is entitled to describe her stepchildren in the way she wants to I don't think anyone here gets to determine that for anyone else unless the person is having some difficulty with their steplike. The issue I can is her discussing what bonus means to her student if it isn't relevant to the class she is to teach.

6isus
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I'd say she needs PMS meds. An educator should refer to the kids in the manor in which the family chooses.
jlg12678
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:28 PM
2 moms liked this

To each their own. There are plenty of classes I took in college that I did not agree with at all but at the end of the day if you want the degree to deal with the class and the professor.

This wouldn't have even bumped my radar.

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:29 PM
I'm going to school to teach science in junior high. It's one of my required education classes.

She was going on about how, because the term 'step' has such a negative connotation, it's better for the child's sense of self if we refer to everyone in a step situation as a positive, extra special, 'bonus.'

Quoting jules2boys:

Yes, what class is this and how does her having 'bonus' anything related to the class?  (sorry, I don't recall what you're going to school for)

Where'd she get her information about 'as educators you need to reer to steps as 'bonus' anything'? 

britney678
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:31 PM
Gag.
sid1083
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Next thing you know, she'll tell you to refrain from using a red pen to correct work as it can severely damage a child's self-esteem if there are too many marks.

Quoting progressandjoy: I'm going to school to teach science in junior high. It's one of my required education classes. She was going on about how, because the term 'step' has such a negative connotation, it's better for the child's sense of self if we refer to everyone in a step situation as a positive, extra special, 'bonus.'
Quoting jules2boys:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN