Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

How Much For Socks??

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:36 PM
  • 59 Replies
Ladies, I just spend $14/pair, that's right, A PAIR, for SS to have these uber cool kid Nike socks. My jaw dropped but what could I do? He "needs" these socks. I remember "needing" name brand jeans when I was a kid so what could I do but relate? I got him the socks...

But it totally has me wondering now: how much unexpected expense on crap is out there? Have you ladies ever had a crazy price tag that you weren't ready for? I know this question is best asked for those who have tween/teen girls in the mix (and god bless you. I have no idea how you do it. No. Idea.), and I would love to read those replies, but if you ladies can give me a heads up on the sticker shock tween/teen boys bring, I'd love to be in the know!
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a DS 15 I don't really have sticker shock though. I mean I'm kinda "high maintenance" and my kids take after me lol. I don't wear Walmart brands so I don't put my kids in walmart brand clothes KWIM. I guess the biggest shock for my son is how expensive skateboard wheels can be? They can get up there lol. He is a lot tougher on his shoes than the girls are so spending $120+ on his shoes that he will wear for a max 6 months where as for me $120+ or my DD13 (although she goes through them because she has been growing out of them) is very different us girls can wear them for a long time.

WickedPissah
by Cup Cakes on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Lacross equipment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DVenom
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM
I know exactly what you mean re the Wal Mart. I've to one once in my life, I swear to God as I was standing on line to purchase the woman in front of me walked away from her cart with the toddler still in it and said to me "watch her for a minute"
DDDaysh
by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:23 AM

I have spent a good bit on sox for DS a couple of times when he HAD to have them, but they were closer to about $4 a pair, not $14!!!  That being said, I know my brothers really liked these super expensive athletic socks my mom found.  I'm not sure how expensive, but they were probably worth it.  They really did keep their feet dryer! 

Honestly, I'm not sure what the stupidest thing I ever bought was..  Maybe  a $40 street artist T-shirt DS just HAD to have one time.  It was on vacation though, so just came out of the souvenier budget. 

wise.toes
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM

my kids aren't at that age yet, thankfully! lol

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:01 AM
Well... I have a 13 year old daughter who just went through a growth spurt in to the juniors section and well.. Yeah.. That was a shock to my system.

As far as boys .. My son is only 6 but when we were out school shopping I thought I would pop in to the sports store and get him some under armor shirts and nike shirts etc. He's really in to baseball and soccer right now so I thought some sporty type of clothes would be cool. I did almost pee my pants when I found that the boys size under armor shirts were $18. Each. The shorts were $20

The nike t shirts were $20.

So I hopped my little self over to children's place where I got him several 'off brand' 'athletic' type shorts, shirts, underwear and socks for $60. Total.

I could have only gotten him 2 shirts and 2 shorts for that at the 'name brand' store.

Fortunately he is only 6 so he doesn't really care.

So far my daughter has been by far the most expensive of the two. Again, he's only 6.

My dd isn't in to lots of name brands but just simple jeans from kohls were $27 a pair. I found a couple that fit that were $17. But then I had to go have them hemmed because she's so short and even the petite sizes were too long. That cost me another $40.

Shoes.. Women's sizes. So no longer the $30 a pair I was used to. Vans in women's were $50 and the nikes were $80.
I spent $400 school shopping for her. Plus all of the school supplies were ridiculous. $150. Backpack was $50 (jansport) online free shipping.

Teens are crazy expensive. My little one ... $20 walmart backpack that came with a matching lunch box. $15 slip on 'off brand' shoes. $40 nikes. School supplies from the PTA $50. I spent maybe $200 on him this year. Maybe. And that's a total

Again. Teens are crazy expensive.

Oh! And I'm also looking to purchase a new flute for my dd. An upgrade. $2000. Yeah...... Band is her ONLY activity outside of church. It's expensive. $800 yearly fee starting next year for marching band.

I could keep going but I'm about to give myself a heart attack.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Are you close to that outlet area down south? They have nike outlet and those athletic socks are a lot cheaper there. It's not beneficial for me to go to the outlets because the amount of time and gas I would spend would outweigh the savings. But if you're close .. You should check it out.

Quoting DDDaysh:

I have spent a good bit on sox for DS a couple of times when he HAD to have them, but they were closer to about $4 a pair, not $14!!!  That being said, I know my brothers really liked these super expensive athletic socks my mom found.  I'm not sure how expensive, but they were probably worth it.  They really did keep their feet dryer! 

Honestly, I'm not sure what the stupidest thing I ever bought was..  Maybe  a $40 street artist T-shirt DS just HAD to have one time.  It was on vacation though, so just came out of the souvenier budget. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:10 AM
That's how I am too. My dh and I both - our feet don't grow so we spend $$$ on our shoes. My husband's nice shoes (he has a pair in every color) that he wears to work with his slacks are $120+. But they last and he wears them for a while. Same with our sneakers. The ones I have now were not as expensive but I went with the ones I really liked which happened to be cheaper than normal. But I wear them for a long time.

I buy expensive sandals too. I LOVE Clark's. They last and I can wear them from year to year. $$ but worth it.

That is also what I keep telling my sister. She doesn't understand why I buy my kids nike shoes. Because they LAST! Unless their feet grow. Otherwise - my ds got new shoes at Christmas and he is still wearing them to play in. She buys my nephew cheap brands and they don't last. So she has this impression that she is ALWAYS having to buy him shoes. Well yeah.. Cause they fall apart after 3 months.

And yes - skate board wheels are expensive lol

Quoting soonergirl980:

I have a DS 15 I don't really have sticker shock though. I mean I'm kinda "high maintenance" and my kids take after me lol. I don't wear Walmart brands so I don't put my kids in walmart brand clothes KWIM. I guess the biggest shock for my son is how expensive skateboard wheels can be? They can get up there lol. He is a lot tougher on his shoes than the girls are so spending $120+ on his shoes that he will wear for a max 6 months where as for me $120+ or my DD13 (although she goes through them because she has been growing out of them) is very different us girls can wear them for a long time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinybluemoon
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:18 AM

I spend $48 a week on my nephew for ballet shoes. Thank god he isn't a girl because two pairs of pointe shoes a week at $82 a pop would hurt my soul.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Pointe shoes.

I just bought DD20 some $98 nike leggings she had to have as she headed out for 9 months to Sweden.

I am a periodic splurger.  Typically though I have trained my DDs to appreciate goodwill.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)