Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Ok DH, I'll bite...

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM
  • 82 Replies
Good morning ladies!

I had an interesting conversation with my DH last night about having a child together. It is not something I have really considered and I figured the door to that one was pretty much closed due to our own age and the age gap that would be between SD and a new child (she is 12 now).

I have an amazing relationship with my SD and she has made quite a few off handed statements lately about getting a sibling (all positive).

Again, in my mind the door is closed on that chapter of my life, but I was wondering if any of you have had a child with your DH with that kind of an age gap? How did the step kids adjust? Any hell mouth open up from BM?

Basically, I am just curious and looking for any anecdotal evidence that this could be a colossal bad/good idea so I have something to say to DH if it comes up again, instead of the blank face, then near hysterical laughter I gave him last time.

by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ManicAttack
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:58 AM

My brother (half, my mom and step dad's child) is 21.  His oldest sibling is 48.  I am not shitting you.  She is two years younger than my mother.  My step dad is 68.

I don't know if that makes you feel better, but I hope it does.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:59 AM

ss and dd1 are 5 years apart...

ss adjusted really well, and honestly has never said anything about either of his sisters.  

bm on the otherhand always had a offhand nasty comment about both girls...immature imo

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Dh and I had DS a year after we got married.  The boys were 11, 9 and 9 at the time.  The oldest and DS are the closest, but I think that's just because the middle two are so close.

It's crazy having a child this young at times.  3 are in high school and he just started Kindergarten.  Very different lives.

hopeful_leslie
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM
It shouldn't matter what advice anyone gives you or what BM would have to say about it sweetie.... The only ones that need to be on board for it is you and dh. Its such a bonus that sd is wanting this to :) do you have any babies of your own or is sd the only child?
KWIM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:00 PM
I have some crazy age gaps like that in my family too...but the majority of my family is all 1st marriages. There are no step or half sibs to consider so it was always just a "well, get used to it" kind of thing.
KWIM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:04 PM
Believe me, I know. Lol

I was more looking for stories about and experiences with it. I am 99% sure it is all just talk on his end...maybe a midlife thing. I am just not a fan of the idea of starting over.

SD is the only child now. I had a son but he passed away a little over 3 years ago now.

Quoting hopeful_leslie: It shouldn't matter what advice anyone gives you or what BM would have to say about it sweetie.... The only ones that need to be on board for it is you and dh. Its such a bonus that sd is wanting this to :) do you have any babies of your own or is sd the only child?
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:05 PM
SD and YDD are 8 years apart. They are great together.

I have a friend who's nieces,and,nephews from her older siblings are her age. My grandpa grew up with his niece who was 1 month older than him. And I have an aunt who has a 29 year old, 26 year old (he'll be 27 next month), 25 year old, and a 12 year old.
KWIM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:05 PM
That is what boggles my mind!

It'd be odd to me me to be changing a diaper while I was helping another with their SAT prep. Lol

Quoting WifeyC:

Dh and I had DS a year after we got married.  The boys were 11, 9 and 9 at the time.  The oldest and DS are the closest, but I think that's just because the middle two are so close.

It's crazy having a child this young at times.  3 are in high school and he just started Kindergarten.  Very different lives.

hopeful_leslie
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sorry to hear that, hugs

Quoting KWIM: Believe me, I know. Lol

I was more looking for stories about and experiences with it. I am 99% sure it is all just talk on his end...maybe a midlife thing. I am just not a fan of the idea of starting over.

SD is the only child now. I had a son but he passed away a little over 3 years ago now.

Quoting hopeful_leslie: It shouldn't matter what advice anyone gives you or what BM would have to say about it sweetie.... The only ones that need to be on board for it is you and dh. Its such a bonus that sd is wanting this to :) do you have any babies of your own or is sd the only child?
KWIM
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:09 PM
I guess this post was featured. Must be a really slow news day around here.

; 0)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)