Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

... one request too far

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM
  • 28 Replies
Generally, I agree with following OP's wishes. Especially, if it's not really that big of a deal. But, I don't know if I can agree to the request BM just texted me.

She told me to line dry all of SS's clothes (or at least the ones she bought), instead of putting them in the dryer. I HATE doing laundry. Picking out the few peices of 'her' clothing is extra work and time doing something I absolutely detest.

I'm passing this one to DH, but I doubt he'll take time to line dry the clothes either.

(I just want to point out, I'm okay with BM. I just can't believe she would tell me how to do laundry though! Half of me wants to laugh and the other half is thinking, 'did she seriously just tell me how to dry clothes!!' Also, I typically think, if one parent doesn't have a strong opinion then the OP's wishes should be followed. But in this case, I definitely don't want extra chores on my shoulders.)
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BrandiGra
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:59 PM
5 moms liked this
I would reply that I don't do laundry the same way she does and would she prefer I send all skids clothing for her to launder.

You don't have to explain just state the facts and ask her what she wants.... A or B.
WLA_diva
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:04 PM
6 moms liked this

Send the clothes that she wants line-dried back to her unwashed, so she can wash and dry them the way she wants.  And have your SD wear clothes you buy her at your house.

DDDaysh
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Is there a specific reason, like an allergy or skin sensitivity, or is this just a "to protect the clothes" thing.

If it's a health issue with the kid, I'd probably do it. If it's the latter, I'd send the kids clothes back to her dirty so she can wash them.
progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 12:07 AM
So they don't shrink. Which is a-okay.

But we buy the same size, style, and brand of jeans from the same store. I'd rather bag it and send it back dirty, then dig through a load of wet jeans to figure out which pair came from her house.

xD

Quoting DDDaysh: Is there a specific reason, like an allergy or skin sensitivity, or is this just a "to protect the clothes" thing.

If it's a health issue with the kid, I'd probably do it. If it's the latter, I'd send the kids clothes back to her dirty so she can wash them.
codysara
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:19 AM
I have never had an issue with jeans shrinking. 100% cotton shirts yes!!
No way could I follow that rule for a non health issue.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 1:59 AM
I line dry mine and DDs clothes. I don't like clothes dried in the dryer .. I don't know why. So to me, the extra pulling out my clothes out of their clothes is not that big of a deal and doesn't take but a minute. But I do this every day so I'm used to it. And it's for me so of course I'm going to do it.

How old is her child? Maybe she can teach him to do it to help out with the burden in your home? Could that be an option?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I don't know, but I am picky about the dryer. I have had stuff ruined because well-meaning people put them in the dryer.

I think I would have DH tell her, don't send over any clothes that dont go in the dryer.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:21 AM

That's another option, and probably the easiest. It seems like a pretty simple solution. If I were the mom, I'd rather get the clothes back dirty, than shrunk.

Quoting WLA_diva:

Send the clothes that she wants line-dried back to her unwashed, so she can wash and dry them the way she wants.  And have your SD wear clothes you buy her at your house.

amichelle28
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I would love to even get clothes back from my ex I can't imagine them being washed. She should consider herself lucky.
LiveInTheNow
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

If she has a problem with clothes shrinking and getting too small when at your house then she needs to buy larger sizes. I had to do this for SD when she got new clothes for school and what not because BM washes all her clothes on hot and they would come home way too small. But we also had instances where BM wanted SD to use certain types of deodorant because they had a chemical in them that "causes breast cancer". SD was 8 or 9 when she was stressing her out about cancer, I mean seriously? So we bought the deodorant she wanted and I ended up switching to it as well because I like it. To turn around and find out the deodorant she bought for SD to put with her gym clothes was the same type she told us not to buy. It went in the garbage and DH and I bought her the type BM just had to have to go to school.

Honestly, I say do laundry the way you want to. If shes not happy with it like I said before she can buy larger sizes. Its not her house. I got over BMs requests a long time ago. I dont tell her what to do at her house, she sure as hell isnt going to tell me what to do at mine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN