Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Totally OT but get in here if you love your car and it seats 5 or more!!

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:28 AM
  • 96 Replies
We are buying a new car.

My old one is done. And I do love scraping every mile I can out of a car. So whatever we buy must be around for a while. It must have 4 or all wheel drive as I def drive in the snow. Gas mileage a consideration but more in a "lets be responsible citizens of the earth way" than anything else. We already have a minivan so no minivans.

It must seat 5 it 6. It must be reliable. I'm not a car status person so I don't care as long as it is reasonably comfortable and requires little maintenance.

Casting a broad net irl and on here.

What do you drive? Do you love it? Do you recommend it? Why or why not.

by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MBanks524
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:38 AM
We drive a ford expedition and yes we love it.
chanizen
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM
How is the gas mileage and reliability? Does it do ok in bad weather?

Does it feel tippy on corners?

Quoting MBanks524: We drive a ford expedition and yes we love it.
SKW86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Depends what years your looking for. I know GM is having a hell of a time with all their recalls, but there are a select few that aren't effected. with GM you have the option to get a year of free maint, and you can get some pretty good warranties. the GMC terrain has 3rd row seating, and I believe the Acadia does too. They are both GREAT cars despite GM's problems right now. 

Or if your going "older" the Chevy Tahoe & Suburban are good cars too. Both of my ex's have tahoes. and i've learned that if you complain to GM enough, you can get your way. lol

MBanks524
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM
It does great in bad weather here in Texas. If I was home where I'm from idk about the snow. I do know that I saw them all over the place up north. It's a 4 wheel drive. 35 miles per gallon. We got it to fit the kids and it was what we were looking for. It has not broke down on us in the 5 years we've had it. We are meticulous about maintenence though. Flat tire is about all we've had to replace.

Quoting chanizen: How is the gas mileage and reliability? Does it do ok in bad weather?

chanizen
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Definitely new. I drive cars for forever so it's more cost effective.

3rd row seating is cool. I do parallel park on city streets quite a bit for work. I may try to stay on the smaller side for a vehicle but that is also up for debate:

Thank you!

Quoting SKW86:

Depends what years your looking for. I know GM is having a hell of a time with all their recalls, but there are a select few that aren't effected. with GM you have the option to get a year of free maint, and you can get some pretty good warranties. the GMC terrain has 3rd row seating, and I believe the Acadia does too. They are both GREAT cars despite GM's problems right now. 

Or if your going "older" the Chevy Tahoe & Suburban are good cars too. Both of my ex's have tahoes. and i've learned that if you complain to GM enough, you can get your way. lol

chanizen
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Sweet! Thanks for your thoughts.

Quoting MBanks524: It does great in bad weather here in Texas. If I was home where I'm from idk about the snow. I do know that I saw them all over the place up north. It's a 4 wheel drive. 35 miles per gallon. We got it to fit the kids and it was what we were looking for. It has not broke down on us in the 5 years we've had it. We are meticulous about maintenence though. Flat tire is about all we've had to replace.

Quoting chanizen: How is the gas mileage and reliability? Does it do ok in bad weather?

SKW86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

The terrain & Acadia are pretty "compact" SUVs. Great gas mileage too. :)

Quoting chanizen: Definitely new. I drive cars for forever so it's more cost effective. 3rd row seating is cool. I do parallel park on city streets quite a bit for work. I may try to stay on the smaller side for a vehicle but that is also up for debate: Thank you!
Quoting SKW86:

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 12:00 PM

We have a Dodge Caravan.... blah  it does its job though.  Then we have a Honda Fit that I love.  It sits 5 of us comfortably, but the kids are in the back. We haven't tried 3 adults in the back. 

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 12:01 PM

how many does it fit?

Quoting MBanks524: It does great in bad weather here in Texas. If I was home where I'm from idk about the snow. I do know that I saw them all over the place up north. It's a 4 wheel drive. 35 miles per gallon. We got it to fit the kids and it was what we were looking for. It has not broke down on us in the 5 years we've had it. We are meticulous about maintenence though. Flat tire is about all we've had to replace.
Quoting chanizen: How is the gas mileage and reliability? Does it do ok in bad weather? Does it feel tippy on corners?

MBanks524
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Quoting Polkadotted:

how many does it fit?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)