Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

S/O: Medical matters

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 9:22 PM
  • 19 Replies

Do children need to know about serious medical issues of their parents? Does the other parent need to know if that home is handling it? Is this also the decision of the parent with the medical condition to tell their child?

Career Woman, Wife and Mother of Two Children, a Girl and a Boy.

by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sara82lee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I would tell my kids, but only after I had figured it out and what was going to happen.

I think it should be left up to the individual parent to tell their child.
cdrainey3
by Cher on Aug. 31, 2014 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this
It definitely depends on if its going to affect the children. Maybe they need to know, but the timing should be right. It should certainly be told by the parent with the issue, not some nosy person being "honest"

There are some illnesses that children do need to know and be aware of. For instance, my dh has diabetes. My ss11 and my ds6 know what to do if his sugar goes low. It's very important that they know what to do because they are alone with him a lot.
CFSTBSM27
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 10:47 PM
I also agree that if a parent has a serious medical condition that can physically effect them ...epilepsy,MS,diabetics etc. The kids should know.
Some children will need to know what to do in a worse case scenario. I'm just kinda guessing anyway.
If you mean anything that may fall under mental illness, I think that would be sensitive information for children.
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Sure, I was thinking more of physical illness though but health matters are usually confidential so I tend to believe in not sharing unless absolutely necessary.

Quoting CFSTBSM27: I also agree that if a parent has a serious medical condition that can physically effect them ...epilepsy,MS,diabetics etc. The kids should know. Some children will need to know what to do in a worse case scenario. I'm just kinda guessing anyway. If you mean anything that may fall under mental illness, I think that would be sensitive information for children.

CFSTBSM27
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:28 PM
Agreed. Only if truly needed.

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Sure, I was thinking more of physical illness though but health matters are usually confidential so I tend to believe in not sharing unless absolutely necessary.

Quoting CFSTBSM27: I also agree that if a parent has a serious medical condition that can physically effect them ...epilepsy,MS,diabetics etc. The kids should know.

Some children will need to know what to do in a worse case scenario. I'm just kinda guessing anyway.

If you mean anything that may fall under mental illness, I think that would be sensitive information for children.

WickedPissah
by Cup Cakes on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My ex will tell anyone about his aches and pains if it means that person will care and worry.

He's been dying for 7 years now.

The other home doesn't need to know.
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:35 PM

...and usually then it probably can't be hidden anyway.

Quoting CFSTBSM27: Agreed. Only if truly needed.
Quoting leegirl_jm:

Quoting CFSTBSM27: I also agree that if a parent has a serious medical condition that can physically effect them ...epilepsy,MS,diabetics etc. The kids should know. Some children will need to know what to do in a worse case scenario. I'm just kinda guessing anyway. If you mean anything that may fall under mental illness, I think that would be sensitive information for children.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 12:45 AM

I think, ideally, that if a parent is having medical issues that require the child knowing, it's up to THAT parent to share that information with their child/children.

But, I do think there are cases (very rare) where the other parent may need to update the child on their ex's medical issues. (say a parent was in a coma or had a life threatening illness and was unable to talk to the child themselves).

oldproatthis
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

There a federal laws about sharing information...the parent whose medical issue it is should share the information. especially in divorce...it makes the ex-spouses legal strangers, no longer next of kin and no longer with any rights to medical information or rights to disseminate it without consent...

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Oh, ok, because I always understood health information to be classified as confidential where I am and I thought it would be the same in the US too.

Quoting oldproatthis:

There a federal laws about sharing information...the parent whose medical issue it is should share the information. especially in divorce...it makes the ex-spouses legal strangers, no longer next of kin and no longer with any rights to medical information or rights to disseminate it without consent...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN