Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Off topic but... (Display Shower Opinions)

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:40 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am not getting replies in other groups but I vent and ask for opinions in this one all the time and get great responses and feedback. Thank you for that!  :) 

So here's the deal.  I am expecting my first child this winter and my mom is planning and paying for the shower (it's her first grandkid outside of my stepsons) and she wants to do an unwrapped/display shower.

What does everyone think of this?  I will have about 50-60 people there.  Here is my original post:

Is anyone else doing this? A shower where you request that people save their money on wrapping paper, bags and bows and instead bring gifts unwrapped. The gifts get displayed on a big table with a tag so you know who it's from and the shower consists of games, a meal and socializing. No sitting through an endless process of gift opening, etc. Good idea or bad? My mom wants to throw me an unwrapped shower (& she is paying for it) but I am worried people will think it's weird and not understand the concept.

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My youngest is 12 and I'm in my 40s, so bear that in mind... 

I've never heard of something like this (unwrapped party) so I didn't have one NOR have I attended one.  As a guest, I may be intimidated by walking in and seeing that someone else had already purchased what I purchased from your registry and I'd feel bad for putting it on the same disply table 'knowing' you already had one or two or 12 (LOL). 

It's also been the rule for generations that immediate family doesn't 'host' the shower.  This should be done by a cousin, best friend, etc. 

But, maybe times are changing and others will have some experience with this sort of shower?   Congratulations on the baby and ENJOY the shower! 

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm....I think the wrapping paper is a part of the gift idea so I wouldn't be fond of it. That is just me, you know your friends, so maybe they will be in for it.

malinda74
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Not a fan but hey...I'm not throwing the shower. I've never heard of this type of shower before...I enjoy watching the gift opening myself.
Jen-ash
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I am leaning towards "tacky" myself.   :(

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM
2 moms liked this
I've never heard of that. What's the point? To save time because gifts aren't being opened? I think it's a terrible idea because people like seeing the mom-to-be open the gift they specifically picked out for her and the baby and getting some type of reaction and acknowledgment for their efforts. I think skipping that part is rude.
wise.toes
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

that's silly.

part of the fun is opening gifts. i'd want to open presents!

that seems like it'd be a pissing match to see who got the better gift. 

MastersonQueen
by Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah that's the first I have ever heard of that type of party as well. Sounds like it could be fun for people because it is out of the norm & change can be fun! I say if you want to do that it sounds great. I wouldn't worry about people thinking it is strange, maybe it's your mom's idea? :) I would be super proud to have a mom who wanted to do something like that!

oranguglad
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I kinda like the idea... But I hate showers in general. I can see how people might not get it.

Jen-ash
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I guess to save time, yes.  We are having roughly 60 people in attendance and it's at a golf club so if we go over our time limit then we get charged hundreds of dollars more for each hour over.  My mom has planned a mimosa bar and giant lunch spread/buffet plus dessert.  So the time should pass quickly.  I do agree that there needs to be something to celebrate the gifts because people spent time and money on them and they are very much appreciated. 

Quoting KnowItAll: I've never heard of that. What's the point? To save time because gifts aren't being opened? I think it's a terrible idea because people like seeing the mom-to-be open the gift they specifically picked out for her and the baby and getting some type of reaction and acknowledgment for their efforts. I think skipping that part is rude.

Jen-ash
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Thanks everyone!   I am going to let my mom run with the idea since she is footing the bill after all.  Anyone who has the nerve to say something to me or my mom at the shower is the rude one, not us :) 

I appreciate the feedback!   I was and still am pretty apprehensive about the whole idea but I'm not going to stress about it anymore.  It's my mom's idea and she is putting together a very nice (and expensive!) afternoon complete with cocktails for everyone LOL!  I will make it a point to find a way to celebrate and genuinely appreciate all the gifts :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)