Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question for all, TV and steplife

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:27 PM
  • 38 Replies

From the Bradys to Modern Family,TV seems to cover stepfamily life. Do you think the portraits  of stepparents and stepkids accurately shows lifeas a stepfamily or do you think they glamorize it too much? if you could reinvent the Bradys, what real life scenario would you add that tv skipped right over? 

I think TV shows people the wrong view. Not only do steparents have to juggle exes, which the Bradys did not, but stepkids don't willingly go along with the game plan. I actually wish tv would show a more reallistic picture, one with jealousy and hurt feelings and growing pains. My man and I discussed this and he pointed out that Marsha and Greg weren't really related and could date.. I oinked at him.

What do you think of stepparents and stepkids on tv? 

WWNSDD?

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:29 PM

What about TV portrays anything realistically though?

TV is an escape.  Not real life.

whatIknownow
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

The other bioparents in the Brady Bunch are dead.

Issues arise in steplife because of jealousy and territory. With dead bios, those issues don't exist.

chanizen
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:40 PM
That's so morbid lol.

Quoting whatIknownow:

Issues arise in steplife because of jealousy and territory. With dead bios, those issues don't exist.

tiafez
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I tried to think of a show that had realistic stepfamilies on it and drew a blank. You're right, it's easy to stepparent when there's no other parent to interfere. 

I'd love to see a show where Mom and Dad both remarried and now juggle two familiesin each home. I don't think they'd make it though. It's not funny, it's tough. 

Quoting whatIknownow:

WWNSDD?

jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Why should stepfamilies be portrayed more accurately when intact families aren't?  Name one intact family on a TV show (not my cup of tea so I can't name one off the top of my head at the moment) that reflects a more accurate portrayal of a real family?  IMO (and only my opinion, not trying to sway others), the portrayal of steps on TV isn't any more/less accurate than the way the families are portrayed in the shows the younger kids/teens watch.  The teen shows all portray idiodic adults who blindly trust their teens to make the right decisions and who seem to 'rule the school', yet this is not the reality my boys live.  They run the house, the school, the stores they shop at, etc.  They all seem to have a bottomless credit account at the diners they frequent, stores they shop at, furniture they purchase/add to their rooms (how many kids do you know who enjoy shopping for furniture to redecorate their rooms), live on a cruise ship (is that Disney one still on? My boys outgrew that one a while ago, thankfully!), etc.  That's not very 'real' either.  kwim? 

I think the Brady's were 'ideal' but not realistic, even for the 70s.  Yet, the 70s were just the beginning of stepfamilies becoming more 'common' when one parent hadn't died prior to the stepfamily becoming one.  Prior to the 70s it just was not common for couples to divorce and remarry when BOTH had children.  My great grandmother was married 3 times.  She outlived one DH, divorced two others before deciding that having boyfriends was the way she'd end out her life.  She was an anomoly IMO, not the way any of her peers lived or even considered living.  My mother had neighbors who blended families, but it was only ONE who had outlived a spouse, marrying someone who didn't have children.  It was more common to find families with adopted children than blended families in the 50s/60s.  Today it's more common to find blended families than those with adopted children. 

For a bit more 'modern' (not the newest though) blended families on TV, I think of Step by Step and Reba.  Both of those seemed more 'ideal', like the Brady's, than 'real' as well. 

I don't think people turn on the TV to watch 'real' though, so if there was a show about 'real' blended families (or based off of them), I think people wouldn't watch, realizing that they already were 'living' that reality, why watch it on TV too?  kwim? 

Besides, how would you find a 'typical' blended family?  Just look around this page... there are so many various scenarios, who's would you deem 'typical'?  (not trying to be snarky, honestly asking.  I know my situation isn't 'typical' or 'normal', but heck, my marriage wasn't either if you consider I not only liked my MIL, I loved her, and still do! LOL) 

WickedPissah
by 2Sexy4MyStoma on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM
They had a step family show, cela ward played in it.
whatIknownow
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:44 PM

but true!

Plus in the Brady's, Carol and Mike adopted their respective stepchildren. So they became the "real" mom and dad. No issues about "rights", etc.

Quoting chanizen: That's so morbid lol.
Quoting whatIknownow:

tiafez
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM

The Suite Life.

I should be punished for knowing that but my granddaughter loves the show and I now own two DVds of episodes. God help me...please.  

I kind of agree on Reba but that whole situation wasn't really real either. 

Quoting jules2boys:

Why should stepfamilies be portrayed more accurately when intact families aren't?  Name one intact family on a TV show (not my cup of tea so I can't name one off the top of my head at the moment) that reflects a more accurate portrayal of a real family?  IMO (and only my opinion, not trying to sway others), the portrayal of steps on TV isn't any more/less accurate than the way the families are portrayed in the shows the younger kids/teens watch.  The teen shows all portray idiodic adults who blindly trust their teens to make the right decisions and who seem to 'rule the school', yet this is not the reality my boys live.  They run the house, the school, the stores they shop at, etc.  They all seem to have a bottomless credit account at the diners they frequent, stores they shop at, furniture they purchase/add to their rooms (how many kids do you know who enjoy shopping for furniture to redecorate their rooms), live on a cruise ship (is that Disney one still on? My boys outgrew that one a while ago, thankfully!), etc.  That's not very 'real' either.  kwim? 

I think the Brady's were 'ideal' but not realistic, even for the 70s.  Yet, the 70s were just the beginning of stepfamilies becoming more 'common' when one parent hadn't died prior to the stepfamily becoming one.  Prior to the 70s it just was not common for couples to divorce and remarry when BOTH had children.  My great grandmother was married 3 times.  She outlived one DH, divorced two others before deciding that having boyfriends was the way she'd end out her life.  She was an anomoly IMO, not the way any of her peers lived or even considered living.  My mother had neighbors who blended families, but it was only ONE who had outlived a spouse, marrying someone who didn't have children.  It was more common to find families with adopted children than blended families in the 50s/60s.  Today it's more common to find blended families than those with adopted children. 

For a bit more 'modern' (not the newest though) blended families on TV, I think of Step by Step and Reba.  Both of those seemed more 'ideal', like the Brady's, than 'real' as well. 

I don't think people turn on the TV to watch 'real' though, so if there was a show about 'real' blended families (or based off of them), I think people wouldn't watch, realizing that they already were 'living' that reality, why watch it on TV too?  kwim? 

Besides, how would you find a 'typical' blended family?  Just look around this page... there are so many various scenarios, who's would you deem 'typical'?  (not trying to be snarky, honestly asking.  I know my situation isn't 'typical' or 'normal', but heck, my marriage wasn't either if you consider I not only liked my MIL, I loved her, and still do! LOL) 

WWNSDD?

tiafez
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:47 PM

there goes that male fantasy about marsha and greg... 

(geh)

Quoting whatIknownow:

but true!

Plus in the Brady's, Carol and Mike adopted their respective stepchildren. So they became the "real" mom and dad. No issues about "rights", etc.

Quoting chanizen: That's so morbid lol.
Quoting whatIknownow:

WWNSDD?

jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Yeah, thanks... I really didn't need to be reminded about that shows name... ;) 

And, I'd say God love ya, but, we should do things for our grandkids we didn't (or didn't want to) for our kids.  I tell my boys all the time that my mom (whom I love) was NOT so nice to me when I was growing up (as she is to them) AND I'll be much nicer to their kids than I was to them.  It's just want makes the world go round. ;)  They roll their eyes and laugh at me. 

Quoting tiafez:

The Suite Life.

I should be punished for knowing that but my granddaughter loves the show and I now own two DVds of episodes. God help me...please.  

I kind of agree on Reba but that whole situation wasn't really real either. 

Quoting jules2boys:
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)