Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SD's spinal surgery update

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM
  • 7 Replies
2 moms liked this

SD had her post op appointment. She's moving SUPER slow, very cautious. BM has decided (in the 5 minutes she spent with SD) that this isn't SD being cautious (like we said and like SD said), but that SD is really in pain and afraid to tell us. BM was just poking at her and antagonizing her the entire time!

SD is doing great. She's progressing like normal. She still has another 4 weeks before she should be back to normal. The nurse practitioner gave us a list of activities and exercises SD can do to stretch her muscles to help with recovery, and starting next Wednesday she can start getting back in the pool.

BM has decided to take SD to lunch and is going to bring her home. But, at least she's willingly spending time with SD.

SD goes back for another MRI in January to check the fluid pooling in her spine that was found during her last MRI prior to surgery. We're hopeful that the surgery to correct the tethered spinal cord will have allowed this to self-correct. We see the neurosurgeon that same day.

BM also asked about massage and when SD can start getting massages. BM graduated about a year and a half ago with a certificate in massage therapy, however she's unable to pass the state certification tests. DH and I were talking about how we aren't sure if it's a good idea for BM to give SD massages if she can't even pass the certification test.

Overall though, SD is doing REALLY well post surgery. She's exactly where she's supposed to be.

by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Well, BM spent less than 90 minites with SD. But, I guess its something, right?
amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Was sd happy with the amount of time mom spent with her? 

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I don't know.

She wasn't too happy about not coming home with DH and I after the appointment. And she was happy to come home.

SD loves her mom and wants to spend time with her. The problem is that BM doesn't spend QUALITY time with SD. BM goes about her regular life (running errands and whatnot) and wants to just drag SD along with her, rather than finding things they can do together. SD would be happy to hang out at BM's house watching TV or doing arts and crafts. She's not the type of kid who needs/wants stuff or to be super active.

Quoting amantonacci:

Was sd happy with the amount of time mom spent with her? 

wise.toes
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 7:23 PM

i'm glad she's doing well. 

i'd be wary of the "massage" too. that's a tough one.

YNot4ever
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Glad to hear she is recovery nicely.  I saw your other thread and almost posted asking how she was doing other than the BM stuff.  I would definitely be weary of a massage.  I have had 4 knee surgeries (yes totally minor in comparison to what your SD went through) and could not stand for anyone to touch my shin/lower leg for about 4 weeks.  The nerves and such were just weird and it was sensitive in an unusual way.  I could honestly see a massage even if done properly may still be extremely uncomfortable for SD.  

Will there have to be any follow up surgeries or was this a one time deal type surgery?  Sorry I don't know much about tethered spinal cord.  Just curious if this will be an ongoing battle.  

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM
SD may need another surgery to remove the spinal fluid pooled in her spine. Her MRI in January is to check that.

She'll have follow up care with her neurosurgeon, her urologist, and her physical therapist.

There may also be permant nerve damage, but we wont know for sure about that for another 4 weeks at least.

Quoting YNot4ever:

Glad to hear she is recovery nicely.  I saw your other thread and almost posted asking how she was doing other than the BM stuff.  I would definitely be weary of a massage.  I have had 4 knee surgeries (yes totally minor in comparison to what your SD went through) and could not stand for anyone to touch my shin/lower leg for about 4 weeks.  The nerves and such were just weird and it was sensitive in an unusual way.  I could honestly see a massage even if done properly may still be extremely uncomfortable for SD.  

Will there have to be any follow up surgeries or was this a one time deal type surgery?  Sorry I don't know much about tethered spinal cord.  Just curious if this will be an ongoing battle.  

YNot4ever
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Wow, that's rough.  I hope it all works out for the better.  I also hope BM pulls her head out of her rear and steps up a bit for her daughter.  You are doing a wonderful job of being there for your SD!!!  One day SD will look back and realize how wonderful it is (not saying she doesn't appreciate it now, but when you get older and look back it just has a greater impact)..

Quoting Tinkerbellmama: SD may need another surgery to remove the spinal fluid pooled in her spine. Her MRI in January is to check that. She'll have follow up care with her neurosurgeon, her urologist, and her physical therapist. There may also be permant nerve damage, but we wont know for sure about that for another 4 weeks at least.
Quoting YNot4ever:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)