Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do they need to stay the night?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:36 AM
  • 105 Replies

Why is it so important that our stepchildren stay the night? It isn't like any activities or bonding can be undertaken while sleeping, and I know myself I've always preferred to sleep in my own bed, and I know my own children are much the same. Surely it would be just as worth while to eat dinner as a family and than return home, especially if the children must be up early to be delivered home in the morning, not leaving much time for morning activities. So why is it always viewed as important for visitation to include overnights? Who actually benefits from these? The children? The parents? The CSA? Who?

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kgsharber
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:38 AM
2 moms liked this
What? Because that should be their home too.
kgsharber
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:43 AM
3 moms liked this
This post is nagging my brain. How else does it work? I mean, my son has a room at dad's with a bed he chose, decorations and toys, just like our home. This post doesn't make sense to me. Both places he is equally welcomed, doesn't have to knock, and has free access to the whole home basically.

He has 2 homes.

I've never thought any different, honestly.
waytomanykids10
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:45 AM
8 moms liked this
In her house the step children are like stray little dogs. She has a large dislike(almost to the point of hating them) for them and doesn't even consider them part if the family.
I hate yet to see her say anything nice about them.

Quoting kgsharber: What? Because that should be their home too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:57 AM
11 moms liked this
Because children should have a home with each of their parents. Sleeping there, having some sort of space and belongings there, gives them a sense of belonging and connection to that home and family.

Logistically that wouldn't even be feasible for most families, to send the kids back "home" for bedtime.

Not to mention, kids wake in the night. They get sick, they have nightmares. Those are parenting moments too.and they're important. To the parents and the children.
GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:58 AM
5 moms liked this
Are you serious?
runinpinkshoes
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:58 AM
My step kids have their own rooms here. This is their house too. I would think they'd need their own rooms even if they weren't staying overnight, just to have their own space.

But I guess for the scenario you described, if they don't have their own space, then yeah they'd probably be more comfortable in a place where they do.
pink_sugar
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:10 AM
4 moms liked this
You are a snob. Sorry your skids cramp your lifestyle.
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Because Dad's kids live there too and shouldn't have to go back to Mom's at the end of the night and get picked up again the next morning.

sophiesister2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM
I dont get it either. Bd is here for 3 weeks and after not seeing dd(2 1/2) for a yr and a half they gave him some overnights(not at a house thats his its at a friends house hes staying at) i dont understand why thats important at all... she will be awake for 4 hours of his visit
codysara
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow. Just wow!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)