Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is co-parenting business?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 3:45 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this
Is co-parenting a business relationship, especially when there is a court order governing CS and visitation/custody? Or is it a personal relationship where emotions also guide the interactions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I think when done right it's business. Once you can be civil then you can add to it, but I think te fighting and shit is for the birds. Alas we are all human.
XXanonymousXX
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:15 PM
5 moms liked this
I think at a base level it is similar to a business relationship. And I think keeping it that way can be beneficial for those who allow their emotions to guide them inappropriately. I think if more co-parents (and by extension SP's) treated it like a business relationship there would be alot less strife.
cdrainey3
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I've always read that you should treat it like business. i told my dh that and ever since he has taken this approach things have calmed down a lot. I think when you let emotions get involved problems start.
mags355
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:24 PM
I can't word it better than this

Quoting XXanonymousXX: I think at a base level it is similar to a business relationship. And I think keeping it that way can be beneficial for those who allow their emotions to guide them inappropriately. I think if more co-parents (and by extension SP's) treated it like a business relationship there would be alot less strife.
Joie35
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Definitely business if done correctly. Personal emotions just get in the way and cause issues.
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:44 PM
I think it should be treated as a business relationship. The problem is these are our children and it's difficult to seperate the emotions of caring about your child's best interest and becoming 'business-like' which can feel cold and distant.

I work with many business professionals and while we are all business-like, we are also casual and often interact on a personal level. I've been to dinner with the CFO and CEO of the company I work along with our spouses and children. It's not uncommon for both men to come hang at my desk asking how the kids are doing and sharing milestones of their own children. I go to baseball games with the president of my company. He's been to my home and I've been to his. We share photos and milestones. He has a close relationship with my kids and has brought back gifts for them from over seas or other places he has been. I could never see my ex and I being this way. I would never want to. I have better business relationships with the people I work with than I ever have with my ex and his wife.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM
3 moms liked this
Should be pure business like. If divorced parents co-parent as they would work out business deals, or treated other parent as they would treat business partner, fulfill their obligations as CO they signed, I think things would be great not only for their child, but for them also.
There is a thing called "business ethic", we have to come up with "co parenting ethic"
First rule should be: "LOVE your child MORE than you hate your Ex"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdrainey3
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it should be like a business partner, but maybe an outside business that you are being professional with. That's what I assume when someone says treat it like a business deal. I'm that way too, I'm much friendlier with people inside my own business, but when I'm calling to deal with a different business, I'm polite, to the point and usually short and sweet. I think taking that approach with a co parent can help a lot.

Quoting momof2ex1: I think it should be treated as a business relationship. The problem is these are our children and it's difficult to seperate the emotions of caring about your child's best interest and becoming 'business-like' which can feel cold and distant.

I work with many business professionals and while we are all business-like, we are also casual and often interact on a personal level. I've been to dinner with the CFO and CEO of the company I work along with our spouses and children. It's not uncommon for both men to come hang at my desk asking how the kids are doing and sharing milestones of their own children. I go to baseball games with the president of my company. He's been to my home and I've been to his. We share photos and milestones. He has a close relationship with my kids and has brought back gifts for them from over seas or other places he has been. I could never see my ex and I being this way. I would never want to. I have better business relationships with the people I work with than I ever have with my ex and his wife.
Momniscient
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
IMO it should be a business relationship.
teaching_kids
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I think co-parenting means something different to different families.
My husband and BM have a business type relationship-practical. Mostly.
Whereas BM & I have a mix. Our emotional relationship is positive though.

With my sons father and stepmom-it's the complete opposite. Everything is emotional, a competition and it is negative. So in that case-a business relationship would be ideal.
They are emotional people though...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)