Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepson moving in

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:34 PM
  • 20 Replies
Stepson (19) has asked to move in with dad and I. Doesn't like living arrangements he's in. Lived at girlfriends moms place during summer but now girlfriend off to college. We gladly accept him and said we'd give her large shedding German Shepard a try. Mind you we live in small house with lg shorthaired dog of own. So now girlfriend comes home for wknds and comes to our house and they expect to sleep together. Am I wrong to be upset that dad doesn't have a problem with this. Old fashioned stepmom thinking we don't need to promote their behavior.
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
If no one had an issue w it until now then good luck w that. They are not minors.
cdrainey3
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:50 PM
I wouldn't really care for that either. I would offer to let gf sleep in the guest room or on the couch. Have you expressed your feelings to your dh?
whatIknownow
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:38 PM

I don't think it is unreasonable to say they cannot sleep together at your house.

When my DD24 has slept here for various reasons (usually housesitting), even when she slept here as a favor to us (watch SD15 while DH and I were away for a weeked), I specifically told her she could not have her boyfriend sleep with her (and we love her boyfriend; he could sleep on the couch if he wanted to stay over). Because it was a bad example for her stepsister. She completely understood and complied.

stepdiva
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 12:49 AM
It is your house and if you object,that's your privilege. Tell THEM how you feel.
becca7840977
by on Nov. 9, 2014 at 1:15 AM
I agree it is your house, your rules. I hope this never comes up for me since I lived with my dh before marriage.
Lorelai_Nicole
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 3:30 AM

They are adults who were previously living together. I think you're being unreasonable, honestly. If they were 16 or something, I could understand, but 19? They're not kids.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 15 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 10 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 7 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 2 years old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 18 years old (niece) 

owl0210
by on Nov. 9, 2014 at 5:39 AM
It's your house your rules. My ex-husband and I didn't sleep in the same bed when we used to visit his parents before we got married.
amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 8:20 AM
What does his father think about it? Are there minor children in the home?
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 8:45 AM
I would make it clear that a condition to living in my house is that he can't have his girlfriend sleeping over.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 8:47 AM
How does your living with your husband before marriage relate to this situation?

I lived with DH before we married but it was my house and so I made all the rules. The stepson is not the one making the rules in his father and stepmother's house.

Quoting becca7840977: I agree it is your house, your rules. I hope this never comes up for me since I lived with my dh before marriage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)