Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"I want to give Mommy a present"

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM
  • 32 Replies

Poll

Question: when the holidays roll around kiddos like to give gifts to the parent in the other home. How do you handle a request like that?

Options:

not my problem get your grubby paws outta my wallet

talk to Dad

ask Mommy's BF,DF,DH,LLP

here's $10 but you owe me

let's go shopping!

you'd best start collecting those cans then...

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 53

View Results

an old favorite. 

Verified BM/SM/BOB .... wwnsdd?

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiafez
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:00 AM

BT:  SS didn't give anything to either parent

AT:  Dad took him out with a set limit and let him buy a gift for Mom. Mom started doing the same. 

As kids (mine) got older, I expected them to help winter proof the house and yard in exchange for $$ for gifts for Dad. When they started having jobs of their own, I stopped contributing to the cause. 

(before tia, after tia)

kgbm13
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:02 AM

If the kids came to us we would say yes here is $20 lets go shopping.  BM on the other hand I don't think she ever would.

hmlykins13
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM
2 moms liked this

If my SK's came to me or Dh and asked if they could buy a gift for their mom I would not hesitate.  I know alot of parents would not do this and that is ok but my take on it, it is for the kid.  It has NOTHING to do with BM or BF. If the SK was old enough to work, that is another thing but I think that is sweet that kids want to buy their parents things for holidays. 

Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:19 AM
My STEPKIDS choose not to buy for BM. Instead DH and I get her something an put the kids names on it.
cdrainey3
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
We aren't on good terms with bm, but Its because dh and her DO NOT have the same parenting styles.. At all. Like seriously how do you have a kid with someone and disagree on everything? do people not talk about parenting styles before they get married?

Anyways- in the end we all really just want ss to be happy. If he asked to buy something for bm we help him. He's never asked us but he has asked bm to help him get presents for his brothers, and she has.
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM

this never happens here but i would prob give them a small amount of money if they asked.

CStarz
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm pretty sure my hubs would say, 'No effing way!'

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:22 PM

BM is remarried.  They can make a request through their SF.  Prior to her remarriage, DH or I always made sure they had something for her on holidays and special occasions. 

XXanonymousXX
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Before BM got married DH or I would take SD to get BM something. Since she's gotten married SD asks SF first, with the knowledge that if he doesn't want to help SD get something we will. SF usually tells her no, she tells BM this and BM tells SD she doesn't need anything anyway, SD gets mad and says forget it.
oranguglad
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM

We always help sd (DH & I) to make cards, buy a (token) gift for bm if she asks, because bm has no friends or family around that would help with this.

Now that she is getting older and has some money of her own, we will probably encourage her to use her own money to buy gifts, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)