Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Attendance in Court Order?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM
  • 32 Replies
Does anyone (or your DH) have anything in a court order about school attendance?

SD has already missed 7 days this school year and there are 4 scheduled that she is missing with her mom before winter break as well. This year it is not the end of the world, but what if BM does the same thing moving forward? Is there a way to limit this?
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovePhotoBug5
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Not in court order (though DH did ask for it to be put in). BM had semesters where SD was late 17-20 times. Mediator was PISSED. Said 1-2 times PER YEAR was acceptable - but not 17 times in one semester. BM stated that it was "improving" since last semester of last year there were only 5 tardies... Mediator said she was teaching SD that it was ok to be late, and this was unacceptable. Wish it got put into the order.

GloBug62
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM

He would probably have to petition the court to add limits to school absences.

A friend of mine's CO specifically states that his child is allowed to miss up to 5 days of school for BM's visitation, but that's it.

cdrainey3
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:35 PM
In our state that's illegal. Co or not kids can only miss so many days of school.
Boobear110
by Audra on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:44 PM

No SO doesn't but he's custodial. SD is sick a lot so she always misses a bunch of school. The first month she missed a week due to a viral infection. 

If someone gets sick in a 10 mile radius of her she will catch it. 

If they are out for other reasons besides sickness , I'd look into to it. No reason for a kid to miss school because the parent is lazy. 

Planned vacations can't be helped. Sometimes it easier and cheaper to take them out of school. As long as they can make up the work it's no big deal 

FreedomTruth
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM

It is in mine against the kid's father, but not me. My son normally has almost perfect attendance with only absences being with doctors excuses and no tardies (excluding excused tardies when the bus was late getting him to school). His dad's other son has many. If son is late or misses more than two times a semester he loses his overnights on school nights for the remaining semester without having to go back to court.

FreedomTruth
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Also at son's school vacations are not excused absences so it was agreed not to take him out for vacations in court order as well.

LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM

No there is nothing in the CO regarding attendance.  I can say this - my kids do not miss school all willy nilly - they are legitimately ill and have been seen by their pediatrician.  

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:05 PM
It depends on why she is absent. If they are "excused absences" based on the rules of the school, he probably can't.

My son has already missed 5 days of school this year, and been picked up early 3 days. This is unusual for him, but I dint have control over everything. Two of the days he was picked up early were for family trips out of town. Those I could have avoided, but since they don't do much on Friday afternoons anyway, I thought the trips were more important.

The absences, however, I couldn't control. You can't send a feverish or puking kid to school. My son had gotten sick more this semester than he has since he was in Pre-K! Nothing I can really do about that...
hershey6
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM
There isn't a specific number by law here (I have looked it up). I wish there was some legal accountability.

Quoting cdrainey3: In our state that's illegal. Co or not kids can only miss so many days of school.
hershey6
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:56 PM
That is great! I feel that would be a really helpful thing to have implemented in DH's CO.

Quoting FreedomTruth:

It is in mine against the kid's father, but not me. My son normally has almost perfect attendance with only absences being with doctors excuses and no tardies (excluding excused tardies when the bus was late getting him to school). His dad's other son has many. If son is late or misses more than two times a semester he loses his overnights on school nights for the remaining semester without having to go back to court.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)