• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Step parent adoptions

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM
  • 7 Replies
How does this process usually go? I am in Michigan. I have not heard from DS bio father in 6 yrs. Ds is 6! He contacted me today to either get rights terminated or he will file for visitation. I cant have that. Ds doesnt know who he is! So my DH is willing and wanting to adopt DS. how long does the process take? I will be picking up paperwork tonight.
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:12 PM
If he's willing to terminate and your husband wants to adopt it should be pretty easy. It will likely cost some money, between $500 and $3,000 depending on filling requirements in your area and whether you can manage the paperwork yourself or need an attorney.

In some states you will need to have a homestudy done, which can cost money, in other states they are waived for SP adoptions. Depending on whether or not you need a homestudy, the process could take anywhere from 6-weeks to 2-years depending on how crowded your local family court docket is. However, for an uncontested adoption, I would guess somewhere between 3 and 6 months.
happywifey08
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:17 PM
There are a few websites that will prepare the paperwork for you and help with the steps needed to take. They usually run around 300. Then whatever court fees are. As long as he signs the paperwork it should be easy and quick.
soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Ours did not take place in Michigan but ours was 6 months and cost 3500 with the lawyer plus another I think 1000 for the home study. It was a willing termination and in contested adoption it only took so long due to mandatory waiting periods.
Polkadotted
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I know several people in my county in Michigan have done it.  It went smooth and was fairly simple for them.  We have talked about it and will.  I just don't see the point ATM.  Our county is $150 to file (per kid) then the costs of the BC ($75 ish).  There's a home visit (It did not sound like there was a cost for that and all of the people I know it didn't actually happen formally in their home).  I know a couple people that did it without lawyers.

I called the county adoption/records person and she talked me through it and sent out a package.  

I'm in Jackson county

mommylife08
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:33 PM
Thank you! I picked up the paper work packet today. Ours will be $150. Hopefully it goes quick and smooth since BD is the one wanting his rights terminated. Lol

Quoting Polkadotted:

I know several people in my county in Michigan have done it.  It went smooth and was fairly simple for them.  We have talked about it and will.  I just don't see the point ATM.  Our county is $150 to file (per kid) then the costs of the BC ($75 ish).  There's a home visit (It did not sound like there was a cost for that and all of the people I know it didn't actually happen formally in their home).  I know a couple people that did it without lawyers.

I called the county adoption/records person and she talked me through it and sent out a package.  

I'm in Jackson county

luckystars2012
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:35 PM
This is pretty spot on.

We did ours this year for Dh to adopt dd. it was started in May and was signed off on by the judge two months ago, so it's complete but we are still waiting for the new birth certificate to be issued and our copy of the final order.

Quoting DDDaysh: If he's willing to terminate and your husband wants to adopt it should be pretty easy. It will likely cost some money, between $500 and $3,000 depending on filling requirements in your area and whether you can manage the paperwork yourself or need an attorney.

In some states you will need to have a homestudy done, which can cost money, in other states they are waived for SP adoptions. Depending on whether or not you need a homestudy, the process could take anywhere from 6-weeks to 2-years depending on how crowded your local family court docket is. However, for an uncontested adoption, I would guess somewhere between 3 and 6 months.
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:37 PM

well if the bio father is willing to give up his rightws, it should go smoothly. if not, i would not force it and it prob will not happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)