Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to shop for SS

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:08 AM
  • 50 Replies
Okay so SS just turned 13. This causes a few interesting problems for Christmas shopping. I have no idea what 13 yr old boys are into! I have teenage girls and toddlers. It seems to old for "toys" and he can not have anything that has internet so no games. Another problem is that BM has molded him to have zero personality. Everything he says starts with " my mom...." Ex.- "what kind of movies do you like SS?" "My mom always buys the new releases as soon as they come out" "Do you want to play football in school this year?" "My mom says I will like soccer better" "what station do you like SS" "My mom listens to country" . You get the point. We want to get him things he likes but we have no idea what HE likes. And lastly every year for 8 years the weekend after Christmas (or any other gift giveing event) he comes back telling us how stupid mom says the gift(s) are. Books are lame gifts. That shirt looks like it was on clearance. That toy is to complicated/simple/cheap/expensive. Oy......
Bah Humbug
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LostTheSlipper
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:22 AM

I just found out about these, and I want one for me!!

Looks like something a 13yo would like (based on reviews I think you'd probably want to get him the "pro" size:

Maybe a helmet to go with it if he doesn't have one?

I also saw a boy at church with one of these and think a 13yo would probably enjoy it (I got one for my 11yo):

jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:31 AM
When ODS16 was 13 he did not want anyone buying him clothes, he wanted (and received) cash and gift cards, either for specific stores or a visa gift card so HE could shop for what he wanted specifically. Would this work? Maybe pictures of items you'll but for him (pants, shirts, jackets, shoes, etc. ) and then DH can take him shopping and pay for it directly?
I've known 13yos why were still into toys and some weren't.
MrsPez
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:56 AM
I think I need a Spooner now!!!

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

I just found out about these, and I want one for me!!

Looks like something a 13yo would like (based on reviews I think you'd probably want to get him the "pro" size:

Maybe a helmet to go with it if he doesn't have one?

I also saw a boy at church with one of these and think a 13yo would probably enjoy it (I got one for my 11yo):

MrsPez
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:59 AM
I suppose so but I don't want him feeling left out. 4 kids opening gifts and playing and squealing and here is your gift card kid. Have fun.

Quoting jules2boys: When ODS16 was 13 he did not want anyone buying him clothes, he wanted (and received) cash and gift cards, either for specific stores or a visa gift card so HE could shop for what he wanted specifically. Would this work? Maybe pictures of items you'll but for him (pants, shirts, jackets, shoes, etc. ) and then DH can take him shopping and pay for it directly?
I've known 13yos why were still into toys and some weren't.
AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 7:40 AM
Will he be there on Christmas morning?

How often is he at your house?

When he is there, what does he do?

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Help him explore new things.  What about an iPod with a variety of music already downloaded and an iTunes gift card?

take him to a play or a concert or movie dates.  If you have to ask him what he likes it sounds like you simply don't know him.  My SSs (15 and 17) sometimes seem to have no interests except music.  I think it is kind of normal so perhaps you should stop making this somehow mom's fault.

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:26 AM

This is what I was thinking.  Teenagers aren't always the most talkative people in the world.  Getting to know them takes effort at times.

Quoting pdxmum:

Help him explore new things.  What about an iPod with a variety of music already downloaded and an iTunes gift card?

take him to a play or a concert or movie dates.  If you have to ask him what he likes it sounds like you simply don't know him.  My SSs (15 and 17) sometimes seem to have no interests except music.  I think it is kind of normal so perhaps you should stop making this somehow mom's fault.

Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:29 AM

this is a good start-SD13 is our difficult child to shop for-we know what she wants (A room  makeover at her mom's house which we are NOT funding)so we're trying to go off her likes and see if it'll work for her. And ipod or ipod touch is a pretty good start-get some decent earbuds and iTunes card.

OP I find it disturbing he doesn't know his own identity. It's not about BM-it's about HIM. He needs to realize this.

Quoting pdxmum:

stopmommielee10
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Ask him what he wants. Teens are too difficult lol my SD16 has liked getting gift cards every year. She's happy with them, loves to go shopping afterwards. This year she gets the iphone 6 along with a bunch of diff gift cards. SS13 is getting a galaxy phone, some dvds, these nikes he picked out, a gift card for amazon & one for the mall here. Thats what he wanted, no surprises needed. All you have to do is ask & pick from what he tells you. Beats headphones are in, maybe with an ipod & itunes gift card.
MrsPez
by Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:59 AM
He can not have anything that even has the ability to get online. So most electronics are out. He doesn't like Country music and isn't allowed to listen to anything else. He is with us every other third-monday and every Thursday and will be with us until Dec 28th
Also at our house he tries his best to only watch T.V. and sleep but we don't allow that. He really needs to get put and move.

Quoting AmericanDream: Will he be there on Christmas morning?

How often is he at your house?

When he is there, what does he do?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)