Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I discipline

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:32 PM
  • 22 Replies
As a stepmom what are ways to discipline step kids that are teenagers or can we as step parents?
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:41 PM

how long have you been around and how often are they at your house?

if not long and less than half time, you can verbally correct - "please take your dishes to the sink," "please do not run through the house like a herd of buffalo" but thats pretty much it. if they are rude and disrespectful, i would let their dad know that, and that he needs to handle AND be there when his kids are there.

KarmaBusDriver
by ChiefBottleWasher on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Need more info. What is the custody situation? What types of "discipline" are you referring to. 

smof12000
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:48 PM
Her dad has full custody so she stays with us full time. Not anything to harsh. It's for a 15 year old girl who is truly disrespectful towards me and her half brother and her dad let's her get away with it
soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 3:51 PM
3 moms liked this

If dad doesn't care or back you up then there isn't a lot you can do.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 4:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't discipline my teen skids.  However, I would not hesitate to call them on disrespect in the moment if Dad was not there to do it himself.  And if one of them was disrespectful to me and DH did nothing, DH would be the one needing discipline.

You have a DH problem.

KarmaBusDriver
by ChiefBottleWasher on Jan. 20, 2015 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Then you have a DH problem. He has failed to effectively teach his daughter how to be respectful and since dad isn't on board with the disciplining there isn't much you can do, other than as another poster stated, be quick to let her know you won't be talked to like that and then keep your distance.

Quoting smof12000: Her dad has full custody so she stays with us full time. Not anything to harsh. It's for a 15 year old girl who is truly disrespectful towards me and her half brother and her dad let's her get away with it

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 4:17 PM
You can refuse to do favors for her. You can verbally correct her. But really, discipline is the prerogative of the parent. If your husband isn't on board, then that is your issue.

How long have you been married? How old is your child with your husband?
OvrMyHead
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 4:23 PM

The only thing that I do for discipline that works is sending SK(s) to their room if they are being disrectful, rude or bothering another child.  The rest I have to leave to DH to do.  At least sending to their room gets them out of my hair for a while.  When they come out of their room, they must apologize.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Then your problem is NOT a step-kid problem, it's a husband problem.

Your husband allows his daughter to disrespect you and your son. You can't change what he allows.

Quoting smof12000: Her dad has full custody so she stays with us full time. Not anything to harsh. It's for a 15 year old girl who is truly disrespectful towards me and her half brother and her dad let's her get away with it

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 4:32 PM
I don't mind telling a teen sk to watch their tone of I have to but as others have said, you have a DH problem if he won't back you up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)