Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is discipline?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:12 PM
  • 49 Replies

When asked if SM should discipline her skids, what does that mean?

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sara82lee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I took it to mean implementing whatever types of consequences (good or bad) that the sm saw was appropriate in a given situation. From a swat on the butt or a time out for younger kids to taking away an older kid's cell phone privileges to making him do extra chores to telling a kid they are going to get a reward for a good report card.
codysara
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:25 PM
Enforcing any rule or punishment agreed upon by their household.
Whether grounding, stand in corner, spanking, taking away objects, go to bed early, soap in mouth... lots of different punishments, vary in every home.
KarmaBusDriver
by ChiefBottleWasher on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:26 PM

I think that it means different things to different people. Some things come to mind from posts on this forum and that is the ability to make or enforce rules or administer consequences.

to me discipline implies teaching as in helping a child to learn what's expected and to gradually learn to control their own behavior.

runinpinkshoes
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Before I became a SM, I would've said it meant enforcing rules of the household. Now that I'm an SM, I'd say, "don't do it unless you want to be hated and ostracized".
Doodle39
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Discipline to me implies facilitating learning regarding appropriate behavior, setting and enforcing boundaries.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Soap in mouth?  Really?  You would do that to your SS?  Why?

Quoting codysara: Enforcing any rule or punishment agreed upon by their household. Whether grounding, stand in corner, spanking, taking away objects, go to bed early, soap in mouth... lots of different punishments, vary in every home.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:42 PM

That sounds great, but what does it mean?  How do you facilitate learning appropriate behavior when let's say your teen yells at dad that he just doesn't understand and hates him because he won't let him go to a party Friday night?

Quoting Doodle39:

Discipline to me implies facilitating learning regarding appropriate behavior, setting and enforcing boundaries.

codysara
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol.. why would you single out ss? Im actually just talying about general punishments.. but a little soap never killed anyone..

Quoting pdxmum:

Quoting codysara: Enforcing any rule or punishment agreed upon by their household.
Whether grounding, stand in corner, spanking, taking away objects, go to bed early, soap in mouth... lots of different punishments, vary in every home.

runinpinkshoes
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:48 PM
My mom used to rub soap bars back and forth against my teeth for several minutes any time I dared to say "butt" or "shut up". Having lived through it, I could never do it to anyone else. It didn't kill me. I still wouldn't do it to anyone though.

Quoting codysara: Lol.. why would you single out ss? Im actually just talying about general punishments.. but a little soap never killed anyone..

Quoting pdxmum:

Quoting codysara: Enforcing any rule or punishment agreed upon by their household.

STEPMOMDD
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 10:53 PM
Nope. Never has. Tastes awful though. I guess that's the point, though.

Quoting codysara: Lol.. why would you single out ss? Im actually just talying about general punishments.. but a little soap never killed anyone..

Quoting pdxmum:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)