Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support stats, custodial dads vs moms

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:43 PM
  • 30 Replies
Some have asked for the numbers, this is what I found:

In 2009:

1 in 6 custodial parents are fathers.

15% of custodial fathers live in poverty;
38% percent of custodial mothers live in poverty with most of their yearly income (62.6% ) made up of child support.
34.1 % of custodial fathers received all payments, 27.1% percent of custodial dads received no support.

42% of custodial mothers received all support; 29% of custodial mothers did not receive support.

2011:
82% of custodial parents were mothers.
Of these, child support constituted 17% of custodial mothers income, 11% of custodial fathers.

Of the custodial parents who were rewarded child support, 53.4% were custodial mothers; 28.84 were fathers.

www.fas.org
www.census.gov
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
packermom4ever
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 5:43 PM

How does the census get CS info? When we filled it out when they had the last census I wasn't asked a single question about CS. Or custody. Just "who lives in your house, ages, nationality (or ethincity, I forget and we put down "American"), and maybe gender. That was it. 

pusheen-kitty
by Battler on Jan. 31, 2015 at 5:52 PM
Not sure , but if anyone receives assistance , SSI, unrmployment.. or get a payment for CS the numbers get reported to them. Then they use IRS info. They rarely go door to door anymore. Some say they use internet information ( google, browsing , etc ) but not sure about that. Also, student loans.
WickedPissah
by 2Sexy4MyStoma on Jan. 31, 2015 at 6:27 PM
What's up with all these child support posts?

Something bothering you?
notuseless
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:31 PM
Lol my husband is a Cp and he has never received anything from the BM.
soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:33 PM

I was a CP and I never recieved a dime either it sucks.

Quoting notuseless: Lol my husband is a Cp and he has never received anything from the BM.

***Briterican***

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:47 PM
Ok, I'm not even going to get into the validity of the statistics...

But let's just look at the information presented... in the 2009 numbers, a higher percentage of custodial mothers received ALL the ordered support, but a higher percentage received no support at all as well. So that seems to be saying that NCP dad's are more likely to pay full support, but also more likely to not pay support at all. NCP moms are more likely to be paying partial support, which isn't good, but is one of the ways an NCP can avoid the more serious types of enforcement actions.
jpickens
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:06 PM
I don't really trust statistics, too easy to skew the numbers.
Oarfish
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:14 PM
I don't know about statistics, but from all split parents I know only one father has full custody. BM doesn't pay child support. I've never met a deadbeat mother before I met her.

For me, personally, I am in process to get full custody. I wanted to drop child support since I know he won't pay. Court wouldn't let me. I don't want him to get in trouble. I just want him to go away.
WickedPissah
by 2Sexy4MyStoma on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this
You can find a statistic to support whatever you want to prove.
pusheen-kitty
by Battler on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:01 PM
nah, lol, just based on comments on other threads.

Quoting WickedPissah: What's up with all these child support posts?

Something bothering you?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)