Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: Teen Daughters

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:00 PM
  • 14 Replies
This is probably a silly question and not specific to SMC; I'm not active in other groups.

My daughter recently has started talking our ears off and I am just wondering - anyone else? I'm totally fine with it; don't get me wrong. But she literally starts talking the moment she wakes up, goes to school, comes home and doesn't stop until I turn the light out. It's 90-nothing. She can talk my ear off all day but I really want to tell her that I am in need of a cup of coffee BEFORE she starts rambling about the new boy band that she is obsessed with. Usually I am mid coffee when she starts,.. Maybe I should set my alarm a little early so I can have some me time... I feel like all we do is listen to her go and go and no one else really gets a chance.

Is it rude for me to tell her that she needs to allow others a chance? Or should I embrace this moment and expect that eventually she'll be bored with me? (lol) mostly kidding..
For those not familiar with my story, my daughter has been in a shell for several years and has finally found her happy, content, life is roses feeling... So I hate to shut her down but I think I might need some help here. Or perspective.
Especially from you moms who have already been through the early teen stage. I am not at all exaggerating. I am hiding in the garage as we speak!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Polkadotted
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM

We have to give the kids cues. I feel bad because they talk so much... well 2 of them do...and I can't take it.  The others will usually fight for their own time and about whose turn it is to talk.  Honestly I zone out a lot more than I'd like to admit.

chanizen
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:12 PM
it usually shuts off around 14.... How old is she? Just wait. The brooding moodiness is fun too
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:16 PM
Just shy of 14. This just started a couple of weeks ago. And I felt so excited that she was talking so much but it's like silence through dinner for the rest of us. Ds7 is bouncing in his chair with his hand held up begging for a chance lol

I went to get her from church - 15 minutes. 90. To. Nothing. Can't take it anymore! Lol kidding.

Quoting chanizen: it usually shuts off around 14.... How old is she? Just wait. The brooding moodiness is fun too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:17 PM
We are such bad moms!!! I zone out too! What is wrong with me? It's like I'm having a conversation with myself in my head and then she asks me a question - and I'm deer in the head lights! Oops

Quoting Polkadotted:

We have to give the kids cues. I feel bad because they talk so much... well 2 of them do...and I can't take it.  The others will usually fight for their own time and about whose turn it is to talk.  Honestly I zone out a lot more than I'd like to admit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:24 PM

My DS is a talker. If he is not seriously distracted he is talking talking talking. DD isn't as bad because she spends 99% of her free time on face time with her "squad" (apparently they aren't just a group of friends exxxxccccuuuussseee me).

Sometimes I have to tell DS straight out "DS mom needs a moment hold that thought".

***Briterican***

soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:27 PM

I zone out too sometimes. I think that it would be impossible to survive the teen years without the ability to say hmmm yea that sounds nice the trick is to learn to zone out at the right times. Like say not when you daughter is telling you in a very long drawn out round about way that the toilet is flooding and you say yes thats nice dear.

Quoting momof2ex1: We are such bad moms!!! I zone out too! What is wrong with me? It's like I'm having a conversation with myself in my head and then she asks me a question - and I'm deer in the head lights! Oops
Quoting Polkadotted:

***Briterican***

runinpinkshoes
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:30 PM
SD15 isn't like that, but SD10 talks nonstop. And if she's not talking, she's singing, or humming. She doesnt know what to do if she can't hear her own voice every second. It drives SD15 CRAZY, lol.
MamaBear131716
by Crystal on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:15 PM
Ss (14) and dd (8) both do this. They talk all the time! Lol I actually don't mind ss doing it because he talks about things I'm interested in. Dd wants to talk about pet shop videos and mine craft. :/
MamaBear131716
by Crystal on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:18 PM
Lmao! I do that too! I find myself saying, "oh yeah, really? That's cool sweetie." And then realize she asked a question. 😁

Quoting momof2ex1: We are such bad moms!!! I zone out too! What is wrong with me? It's like I'm having a conversation with myself in my head and then she asks me a question - and I'm deer in the head lights! Oops

Quoting Polkadotted:

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 12:05 AM
I don't know how she reads anything. She's talking all the way through it. Wondering when talking will cause issues in school.

Quoting soonergirl980:

My DS is a talker. If he is not seriously distracted he is talking talking talking. DD isn't as bad because she spends 99% of her free time on face time with her "squad" (apparently they aren't just a group of friends exxxxccccuuuussseee me).

Sometimes I have to tell DS straight out "DS mom needs a moment hold that thought".

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)