Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let them eat THIS?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:13 AM
  • 6 Replies

Glow-in-the-Dark Ice Cream Is Cool & Creepy at the Same Time

neon colors

Ice cream makers are constantly trying to outdo one another by coming up with new and intriguing flavors. So it figures it was only a matter of time before someone came up with this cool and creepy concept guaranteed to make kids' face light up, literally: glow-in-the-dark ice cream. Say what? Sounds dangerous, right?

The Melbourne, Australia-based frosty treat purveyor 196 Below introduced ice cream made with liquid nitrogen, which is said to result in a creamier texture. Now, the company has spiked it with "UV-reactive liquid colouring," adding a neon hue to its redskin raspberry, pine lime, and mango passionfruit flavors. 

Though Australia's version of the Food & Drug Administration has deemed it safe for consumption, can we really trust this nuclear looking stuff? And from the very same people who approved vegemite {{{gag reflex}}}?

But, seriously, think about how much fun this would be on a summer night. No need for glow sticks! You can just picture the kids sitting on the lawn waiting to see if their little tummies light up like fireflies, and later, their poop. Ick! 

It's fun to think about but, really, should be consuming food that could easily double as a flashlight? I suppose a little can't hurt, but as an adult it could be tough to get past the idea of putting something glowing in your mouth. Luckily, since it's only available Down Under right now, we don't have to weigh in on this bright idea right away.

Moms, would you allow your kids to eat glow-in-the-dark ice cream?

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
oranguglad
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:30 AM

This is awesome. And not really glow-in-the-dark, but neon colored so it glows under Black lights. No less safe than any other artifically colored cakes, ice cream, cookies, etc.

I also want a glow-in-the-dark pet mouse, but right now they are banned for sale. :(

XXanonymousXX
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. No less safe than McDonald's or even some of the crap they serve at school.

Quoting oranguglad:

This is awesome. And not really glow-in-the-dark, but neon colored so it glows under Black lights. No less safe than any other artifically colored cakes, ice cream, cookies, etc.

I also want a glow-in-the-dark pet mouse, but right now they are banned for sale. :(

DisabledVet
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:45 PM

I worry about adding colors to our food. Many have been found to be dangerous. I'd need to know more about the makeup of these colors.

FrankieR
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 5:10 PM

I would at least once. They would love it! 

imandia4
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 5:28 PM

YUP.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 11:38 PM
No.

We're pretty strict about what we eat. We avoid food coloring at all costs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)