Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seriously wondering if I am delusional... UPDATE

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:46 AM
  • 93 Replies

Poll

Question: Daycare is CP responsibility and NCP pays nothing extra for it.

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 54

View Results

Are daycare expenses really the responsibility of the CP?  When I divorced, YDD was 8 and still required daycare while her dad and I worked.  Same as when we were married.  According to the great state of Oregon, because ODD was 12, she no longer needed it.  So CS was calculated based upon income levels and overnights and then BF was also expected to pay some portion of daycare until YDD turned 12.  I am unclear about the percentages.

But I keep reading here, and have been called delusional if I disagree, that the CP needs to pay daycare out of normal CS.  That if they chose to be CP, they need to choose to pay daycare.

So I ask you ladies, is daycare included in CS?  Or was it something extra?

UPDATE CLARIFYING QUESTION

So for those of you where daycare was calculated into CS, does that increased number sunset when the child reaches a certain age where they don't require daycare anymore?  For instance, Estimated daycare costs were calculated and added to BFs CS obligation but when YDD turned 12, that added obligation was eliminated and what I received was reduced.

by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
YNot4ever
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:48 AM

For SS, we pay CS and then we pay half of daycare costs.  That is how the CO is written up.  I should also add custody is split 50/50, though mom is considered CP due to address and such.  

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:49 AM
3 moms liked this

Isn't that dependent on the State guidelines which varies State to State?

For DH, that was a 50/50 split.

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Yes, it depends on what the CO says.

Quoting YNot4ever:

For SS, we pay CS and then we pay half of daycare costs.  That is how the CO is written up.  I should also add custody is split 50/50, though mom is considered CP due to address and such.  

Career Woman, Wife and Mother of Two Children, a Girl and a Boy.

SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:51 AM
I think it is primarily the CP responsibility. I've seen nothing where CP has to help NCP pay for daycare during their time.

I've just always felt that a CP should be prepared to pay the majority for their kids.
runinpinkshoes
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:52 AM
If I were to ever divorce and had kids, I would propose 50/50 custody and split expenses, no CS. So it would be on both parents equally to cover day care.

In cases that are not that clear cut, I'd say it depends on the state in which CS is ordered. Here in Washington, CS is supposed to include all extras, and is calculated as such.

That being said, when SD10 was still in after school care, DH paid half in addition to his regular CS amount.

There are so many variable factors, I think it should just be considered on a case by case basis.
Ol--Akasha--lO
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Ok I did not vote because I think it's going to vary for each situation. If mom is CP and wants kid in daycare but dad talks to paternal grandma and she would love to watch kid after school. Mom says no, kid is going to daycare. Unless mom can prove that there is a legitimate reason that grandma is not a good option then mom will and should be stuck with the bill.
If there are no other options for childcare then it should be split.
MBanks524
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:57 AM
My DH didn't pay extra for daycare. The CS was calculated to include it. With that said though, he does pay for things she needs
NBVP1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:04 AM
I'm due in July with my ex's baby and I'm really ONLY expecting him to pay half of childcare. Is that weird? Everyone seems to think that's crazy but if he's buying diapers, etc. for his time and I'm doing the same for my time...what is there to split? I will have the baby the majority of the time, yes, but still. The biggest expense associated with the baby will be childcare so that's my biggest concern.
tossed
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:05 AM

I live in Texas and child care is calculated as a joint responsibility and is not considered part of the child support calculation.  There are disputes on reasonable child support amounts and that can be difficult, but normally, the child car expenses are split 50-50 and that payment is on top of child support. 

Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:06 AM

with SS-DH split daycare costs with BM AND paid CS as well

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)