Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids rooms and sharin

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:32 PM
  • 14 Replies

His girls are 10 & 3.5 and currently when with us share a room.  However we are expecting in June with another daughter.   

We are looking at moving into a 3 bedroom home.  Trying to decide how to do it.  Do we put his two kids together and our newborn in her own room.  She will share a space in our room for 3-4 months, not cobedding.  

If his tow are together maybe it would encourage the older daughter to take on an added room in the basement we own to do, but honestly I don't see that.  She is already scared of even a heater running at night. Or do we separate the two and have the little one and newborn share a room?  Only thing is don't know if the 3 yr old would wake every time baby wakes.  She would be nearly 4 by the time they would share.

bedtimes are 8:30 and 9 for the two kids and obviously baby isn't exactly a schedule, but will be up at night hours for feedings yet.

leaning on two little together and doing a room for older alone.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaBear131716
by Crystal on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:37 PM
How often do you have them? If it's EOWE the let them share and have a room for the baby.
kgbm13
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Not EOWE.  Less than that as he works out of state.  But hoping if we do this move it would provide more time with his kids when he is home as we would be moving to the same town so no excuses by bm based on weather or distance of 25 minute drive.

thus far the two sharing a room has caused minor fights over sharing space and who took out what toys and made what mess. And as she becomes a tween I can only imagine it getting more interesting.  Though in the new home would have a family room space in the basement but I'm sure some items will still be in the bedroom.

Polkadotted
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 10:59 PM

I think I'd move to the younger and baby sharing eventually.  11 and 4 will get ugly then uglier out. We kept DS in our room until he was 1 then moved him in with SS.  Although he always had a space in there so SS didn't get too much of a shock when the switch happened.

Free-Bird
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 1:58 AM
I would do a nursery for the baby and if your DH starts getting more visitation with stepkids - move youngest SD into room with baby girl once she turns 3.
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 5:37 AM

I would do this 

Quoting Free-Bird: I would do a nursery for the baby and if your DH starts getting more visitation with stepkids - move youngest SD into room with baby girl once she turns 3.

whatIknownow
by on Mar. 5, 2015 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

For now (the foreseable future), I would put the two stepkids together and have the baby in her own room. The stepkids are visitors. They can share a room.

Wednesday800
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I would say that kids that are not at the home on a full time basis should be sharing a room, especially since it sounds like there are still alternatives for your tween SD to go to if she needs private space (basement living room).  I just dont see the sense in giving the tween her own bedroom if its only going to be used eow at most.  Although there's already been some minor fights about who brought out what toys, etc - that's going to happen in a house of three children no matter what the ages and not matter who is sharing a room with whom.

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 1:34 PM
Unless he ends up with more than EOWE, I'd let the girls keep saying and have a nursery for the baby.
You can always switch that around later when your daughter is a little older if you want to.
FreedomTruth
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 1:43 PM

Have you asked the kids what they want?

kgbm13
by Member on Mar. 5, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Kids don't even know about this yet as a possibility. And I already know the 10 yr old would want her own room even though she doesn't like the noises. And honestly it shouldn't be up to kids what they get.

Quoting FreedomTruth:

Have you asked the kids what they want?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)