Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you mind extra weekends?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:50 PM
  • 92 Replies

We have had my sd the last two weekends.  Bm texts today and tells us that sd is really missing us and and she feels in her gut she should see us.  Bm asked us if we would take her.  Of course, we aren't going to say no.  She is welcome whenever she wants to come.  We have to change plans though because it isn't our weekend to have her. 

Would you take the opportunity if offered or say NO it is your weekend? 

by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2smommy2
by Alex on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

we would take it

whatIknownow
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, we can't say no because we are custodial (most of the kids are grown so I'm speaking of the past). We have simply had to change our plans when the NCPs bailed, which they have both done on a regular basis.

But in general, I would say for the NCP, if you have plans, say no.

packermom4ever
by on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:02 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids live with me all of the time. I like having my kids around and I don't mind it. My husband doesn't either, but even if he did he'd be out of luck.

my3monkeyskek
by Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:03 PM

It depends on whether or not we have plans and what the plans are. Last time BM requested we take her weekend we said no she'd have to make other arrangements because we had a weekend away already planned. But if we don't have plans we've taken the additional time if she asks. And many times, if it's my weeked with the bios but not a skid weekend, we still have YSS over because he and BS are best friends and want to hang out.

fedupmama
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:08 PM
My son is with me 24\7. But I am custodial and dad is LD and hardly sees him. I am happy to have him with me, I guess I have never had to deal with wow, sharing custody and so I don't get it. To me parenting is all day every day.
CampHarris
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:10 PM
SO always jumps at the chance for more time with the boys, so if we didn't have plans he wouldn't say no.

And my kids are with us 100% of the time, so totally kid-free weekends are a very hot commodity. I imagine the only situation he would actually say no in is if we actually had one of those planned. Otherwise, sometimes - when no one is being a butt - it's easier with all four because they typically entertain each other.
XXanonymousXX
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:10 PM
In this scenario, yes, definitely, even if we needed to change plans.

In our sitch it's normally BM skirting her responsibility as a parent and feeling as if DH (and I) owe her somehow. Because you know, she has such a hard life. So, generally DH's answer is no. But we have 50/50 so we are always seeing SD in a matter of days anyway.
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:01 PM
If we had a situation of regular flexibility, of course we would take extra weekends.
runinpinkshoes
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 7:07 PM
BM and DH don't do schedule changes. But if one or all of the kids asks DH if they can come over when it's not his time, he says yes. Except for one time, because we really did have plans. It doesn't happen often though.

In your case, it kind of sounds like BM just wanted a break, but I don't know well enough to say.
pusheen-kitty
by Battler on Apr. 10, 2015 at 8:30 PM
if i am working OT and 12 hour night shift, and DH is working... yeah, I mind, if I have a choice. Dont have have a choice often but it is what it is.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)