Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Here we go again. Summer bathing suit drama prevention

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 4:11 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hey group. I am new and could use a bit of advice!!!! 

SD is a 13 yr old who is very developed for her age.  Last summer, BM bought a strapless type of bathing suit top that she could not keep up because of her size. My husband took SD to buy a bathing suit that would keep her in it. This weekend, SD came over with an even tinier top to go with her bigger chest. (I would not even wear it and I'm getting a bit embarrased typing this post and asking for help)  I think DH almost had a stroke when he saw it :-P   DH understands that girls turn into young ladies but bathing suits should be age appropriate and cover properly. The issue we are having, is we have no clue what to get this girl that would hold her in place. Apparently, modesty does not exist in the clothing world anymore.

I don't think he is going to confront BM about this because it is a battle not worth having. He is planning on buying her a new bathingsuit to keep here instead of dealing with the drama. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

by on May. 17, 2015 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:36 PM

herroom.com

seriously they go by size. I've been using this site for a few years now. Well worth the money. We have the same issue-BM buys SD14 teeny tiny suits-but she prefers tankinis and full coverage suits. so we just buy her suits for when she's with us.

http://www.herroom.com/swimwear.aspx

biberonka
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 11:19 PM
I went through this except it was EH's GF buying this type of crap. She put DD10 in a freaking bikini and took her to the city pool (for her birthday party since it was EH's week with DD and we all met there for the party)... And to cover her up she had her in a strapless tube top dress and a pair of her (GF's) high platforms. Also, DD is a bit on the heavy side, so it was totally not ok... I told EH that if I see my kid dressed like this again I will take her home and she will change before returning her to wherever she's at. I didn't cause a scene, but I did give him a fair warning... Does BM in your case dress like that? Because GF in mine does, so she didn't see anything wrong with it...
tiafez
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2015 at 9:26 AM

it may be that BM let SD pick it...we are kardashianed. I need a swim suit and was appalled at some of the choices. 

bertaboo1
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2015 at 9:54 AM

dd almost 13 had that issue just this weekend.  usually i get tankinis for her.  she grew out of the ones last year...the kid looks 16 and has a body to match...(i swear it is in the milk)...when exh picked her up to go to high falls this weekend...i told him she needs a swimsuit...he took her saturday and actually got a really cute one piece. and it was really appropriate looking.  did not show too much skin...

have your dh take her to get a swim suit...the girl would not dare get a string bikini in front of her dad! lol

sheramom4
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2015 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

We ended up with a full coverage top and boy shorts from Target for DD13. She is fairly well-developed but also short and long-waisted. So finding a bathing suit for her is the ninth circle of Hell!

foundtheone
by on May. 20, 2015 at 10:05 AM

BM doesn't dress like that. DH thinks she is trying to live vicariously through SD because she is obsese.  DH talked to SD and asked her a simple question about the suit...What would your grandfather say if he saw you in that?   She said "he would kick my butt for wearing it and mom's for buying it."

Quoting biberonka: I went through this except it was EH's GF buying this type of crap. She put DD10 in a freaking bikini and took her to the city pool (for her birthday party since it was EH's week with DD and we all met there for the party)... And to cover her up she had her in a strapless tube top dress and a pair of her (GF's) high platforms. Also, DD is a bit on the heavy side, so it was totally not ok... I told EH that if I see my kid dressed like this again I will take her home and she will change before returning her to wherever she's at. I didn't cause a scene, but I did give him a fair warning... Does BM in your case dress like that? Because GF in mine does, so she didn't see anything wrong with it...

LovePhotoBug5
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Arggg.... I went to pick up SD once from a school swim party (end of the year...). She was in a one piece that was a size large - so it hung down in front and SD kept having to pull it up to not show her nipples. It was gross - and she was only 9 I think (several years ago). My mom always buys swimsuits for the kids for Easter, I make sure she gets a modest one. I also found a really cute one piece - I just have to exchange the size on it - but it is adorable. We don't send swimsuits back and forth - SD can swim with us in what she has here. If BM wants to put her in close to nothing - there is not much we can do about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)