Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He needs to call me mom so my kids will call me mom!

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:15 PM
  • 35 Replies

Just kidding! ; )

Buuuut, DD (18 months) did call me by my first name today ...  D;

SS came home today. I was in my room and he called for me. The next thing I heard was DD stomping down the hallway saying, "Progress! Progress! Progress!"

She's such a sponge!

I figured it would happen at some point. I know DD doesn't really understand the dynamic and she's just saying a new word, but I still don't like it. I like being "Mommy!"  /pout  

I think SS feels bad (although I never said anything to him) and has been trying to correct DD. She called me by my first name while we were in the car and he said, "DD that's your Mommy. You need to call Progress Mommy. Can you say Mommy?"  

Topic of discussion : Do you let your (bio) kids call you by your first name?  

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eyvette
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:23 PM
My son occasionally calls me by my name. He knows the difference. I find it cute.

My husband calls his mom by her nickname. It became so natural that I accidentally called her that one time. She corrected me. I finally told her that I would call her by her nickname regardless. She has adjusted to her new name over the years, although it does confuse some people.
XXanonymousXX
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:39 PM
My sister's kids call their parents by their first names when we're all hanging out, because they hear me do it - and they think I'm the coolest :)

My sister and BIL don't react, they really could care less. Which helps the kids get over it fast and go back to mommy/daddy.
soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:43 PM

I wouldn't let my kids call me by name. I like being "mom" as well but it's the same thing because I like being mommy not "my name" to my kids nor do I want my kids to be calling anyone else "mommy".

If it makes you feel any better once my YDD called me "Aunt my name" my niece was over at my house and fell down and called me so my YDD called me the same thing lol

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:44 PM
Lol ds2 does that sometimes too, I just correct him and keep it moving
Gianna2014
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 12:02 AM

My one year old tries to say Gianna and it comes out as Gigi. I think it's cute, but I correct her and say Momma.

Shabby_Chic
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 12:35 AM

In public. I have tuned out "mom" in a crowded space. Not at home, not at other people's houses, nowhere except in busy places where/when they want to get my attention.

tapies2324
by Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 12:38 AM
When my skd9 call me mom I just ignore it and keep the conversation going.
chanizen
by on Sep. 26, 2015 at 6:41 AM
No. When dd did this, I said "who"? No honey, to you I'm mom.

Then I ignored her when she tried my first name and started calling her random names.

Suzy, Bob, Alex, Jennifer, Paul, Ingrid, Jebediah
whatIknownow
by on Sep. 26, 2015 at 6:46 AM
2 moms liked this

awww it's cute that your SS said that.

to reply to the topic: no, I don't let my biokids call me by my first name.

but this is a good example of how toddlers get the names wrong (they eventually get it right). So I just facepalm when SMs say "she called me mom all by herself! that's because she loves me as much as her bio mom and clearly her biomom is doing something wrong, otherwise her toddler child would not be calling me mom."

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 7:16 AM
Most of the children, my own children see me around call me 'Aunty', but they have always called me 'Mom' or 'Mommy'. They know my first name but that it isn't appropriate for them to call me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)