Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cliche

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:21 AM
  • 22 Replies
The oldest kid 11 doesn't seem to like me after 3 years, but 5 y.o. Is a stage 5 clinger. I always saw this in movies, oldest child has allegiance to mother no matter what. The stage 5 clinger is very in tune with my feelings day to day. He is my comical dose of sweet. So my question is: when the 5 y.o. gets a little older, will I become the invisible bathroom cleaner, just as the 11 y.o sees me right now.

I have had sit downs with the 11 y.o. in order to keep is on the right track.I enjoy our talks. I think he appreciates me talking to him and not through him, like dad tends to do. When I reprimand him, its another story entirely :r
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this
So stop reprimanding him. If you want the kid to like you stop doing it. As for when the five year old is older we really can't say. 5 year olds are generally pretty easy to love and get along with. Wether the fact you were in the child's life so young may have an impact on how the relationship works or it might not. He could turn 11 and decide he doesn't want daddy's wife bossing him around as well.
trampled
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:31 AM
Stop reprimanding him? Its a daily thing..homework, not doing assignments (while sitting in class). Dad has full custody, I cannot just simply stop reprimanding him. Dad likes that I have stepped in on the front line.
AM1011
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:31 AM
There's no way to predict how ss5 will like or dislike you at age 11. They're little people with their own little personalities and you being around at an earlier stage in his life gives him time to figure out if he likes you or not. My parents were around my entire life and I don't care for my dad too much. So time with the kid isn't a garunteed shoe in.

As for the 11yo. What does he do to make you think he doesn't like you or like having you around? Are you the only one in the house that disciplines?
kss12
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this
You can let dad know what's going on and let dad handle it.
Step parenting is relatively easy if you don't invest so much into the child. Sure, make sure they're doing well, care for them, but when it comes to reprimanding or discipline let dad handle it. Step parenting is more fun that way.

Quoting trampled: Stop reprimanding him? Its a daily thing..homework, not doing assignments (while sitting in class). Dad has full custody, I cannot just simply stop reprimanding him. Dad likes that I have stepped in on the front line.
trampled
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:35 AM
We both discipline, but I always have to remind myself that I just entered the picture 3 years ago. So my expectations of a college bound honor student is a little much..
kss12
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:37 AM
Hit the quote button so people know when you're responding to them, it makes it easier for people to know you're talking to them ;)
Yeah, 3 years, so the 11 year old was 8, just take a step back and stay off his radar, let dad handle it.

Quoting trampled: We both discipline, but I always have to remind myself that I just entered the picture 3 years ago. So my expectations of a college bound honor student is a little much..
trampled
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:42 AM
Thanks :) on normal days its so easy to let dad handle it. Its just those days when things get heated I start wondering "what am I even doing here"

Quoting kss12: Hit the quote button so people know when you're responding to them, it makes it easier for people to know you're talking to them ;)
Yeah, 3 years, so the 11 year old was 8, just take a step back and stay off his radar, let dad handle it.

Quoting trampled: We both discipline, but I always have to remind myself that I just entered the picture 3 years ago. So my expectations of a college bound honor student is a little much..
trampled
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:42 AM
Thanks :) on normal days its so easy to let dad handle it. Its just those days when things get heated I start wondering "what am I even doing here"

Quoting kss12: Hit the quote button so people know when you're responding to them, it makes it easier for people to know you're talking to them ;)

trampled
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Quoting soonergirl980: So stop reprimanding him. If you want the kid to like you stop doing it. As for when the five year old is older we really can't say. 5 year olds are generally pretty easy to love and get along with. Wether the fact you were in the child's life so young may have an impact on how the relationship works or it might not. He could turn 11 and decide he doesn't want daddy's wife bossing him around as well.
trampled
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:45 AM
Stop reprimanding him? Its a daily thing..homework, not doing assignments (while sitting in class). Dad has full custody, I cannot just simply stop reprimanding him. Dad likes that I have stepped in on the front line.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)