Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introducing me

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM
  • 39 Replies

hi i'm rhonda and i have a 13 yo and a 9 yo and my df has a 12 yo and a 11 yo and i love being a sm but its hard and they are alwys on they're phones and their is no coffee in our office kitchen right now and its out becuz sum dumbas forget to by it.

Ugh, that actually pained me to write, lol.

Just a totally off-topic question to bury the troll posts... if you've ever been a contact lens wearer, what do you think a good age is to start?

DD13 is currently super jealous because BM is taking SS12 (13 next week) to get contacts today.  

DF and I, both having worn contacts prior to Lasik, think it's a terrible idea and that he's way too young for them (he also doesn't need to wear his glasses 100% of the time, so it's also unnecessary), but that's neither here nor there since it's happening anyway.

I've tried to explain the joy that is contacts to DD to quell her jealousy.  The cleaning.  The getting shit under them and feeling like your eye is on fire.  The losing them in the back of your eyeball.  The losing them period.

And not the least of which is the COST - which I honestly cannot afford at the moment.  As you guys know, money is no object for BM, but for those of us living in the real world, it's an expense I see as totally unnecessary, particularly since DD is like SS in the fact that she doesn't need glasses full-time.

I'm thinking of telling her I will get them for her in HS, which (ACK) is next year.  I got them at 14.  And they're something you have to be a lot more responsible with than glasses.

DF says we should tell her if she sticks with glasses through HS, we will get her lasik when she graduates, lol.  She looks adorable in glasses (unlike me) but she's still a girl, and I'm sure she will want contacts before then.  

What do you guys think?  When did you start wearing contacts, if you wore them?  Got any horror stories I could tell DD so she realizes they aren't all they're cracked up to be?  DF was telling me this morning that he got one stuck in the back of his eye, allll the way in the back, and couldn't get it out for a WEEK, so he just put another one in until it came back out.  

Fucking men.  I would have been in the doctor the same day, lol.

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
codysara
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Bwahaha.. love it!!

I wear contacts, my 16 year old also uses contacts. I had 1 rip and cut my eye causing an infection. It was painful!!
My son did the same thing as your husband, it rolled up and hid behind his eye lid. It was uncomfortable and he dealt with it for 3 days before telling me and I found it.
Dr wanted my 10 year old in them, I said hell no. No way is he responsible enough for that.
CampHarris
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

GAH!  *adds ripping and cutting eye causing infection to the Scare Away DD's Jealousy List, lol.*

Seriously, WTH is with men, lol??  DF told me that story this morning and I was like, "Uh, you just put another one IN and left it there floating around back by your brain?  For a WEEK??"

I had that happen once and freaked the fuck out... luckily I got it out within an hour or so, but crap was it uncomfortable.  I can't imagine going to sleep like that even one night, lol.

We don't see this going well for SS, honestly.  He has a hard enough time keeping track of his retainer, lol.  But on a 10-yo??  Oh fuck no.  My DS is 9 and if he were blind like I was, he'd be in glasses till college, lol. 

Quoting codysara: Bwahaha.. love it!! I wear contacts, my 16 year old also uses contacts. I had 1 rip and cut my eye causing an infection. It was painful!! My son did the same thing as your husband, it rolled up and hid behind his eye lid. It was uncomfortable and he dealt with it for 3 days before telling me and I found it. Dr wanted my 10 year old in them, I said hell no. No way is he responsible enough for that.

vandysm13
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol. I got them at 12, right before middle school and I've NEVER worn glasses in public since then. I hated/hate glasses. I wasn't the most responsible tween/teen/young adult, but I've never had an issue with contacts and they've always been convered by my insurance. No horror stories except OSD flushed them down the toilet on mother's day and we had to drive around all day looking for an open vision center.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't want to wear glasses when I walked down the aisle in '86. I was 24.

Both DDs got contacts late in middle school. ODD dances and YDD acts. They were necessary.

I haven't worn contacts in about 15 years. I love my glasses. My current pair is red and orange.
CampHarris
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Yeah, I absolutely hated glasses too.  Of course, that was the late 80s/early 90s and glasses were ugly as sin, lol.  I got them at 14 and never wore glasses again.

Unfortunately the kids are on Medi-cal (I don't get insurance through work since I work 35 hours per week) and their father has never held up his end of the CO stating he carries the insurance for them.  

I had no idea they could be covered by insurance though!  That's good to know for the future.

I guess I would make it more of a priority if she was blind as a bat like I was.  When I got lasik in my early 20s, I couldn't see the big "E" on the Snellen chart till it was literally three feet from my face.  I'm not even kidding.  I was fucking BLIND.

She only wears them at school in the classes that she sits in the back of the class... just like SS, she never wears them once she's home.  Not like mommy who had to put her face an inch from the clock just to read it, lol.

Quoting vandysm13:

Lol. I got them at 12, right before middle school and I've NEVER worn glasses in public since then. I hated/hate glasses. I wasn't the most responsible tween/teen/young adult, but I've never had an issue with contacts and they've always been convered by my insurance. No horror stories except OSD flushed them down the toilet on mother's day and we had to drive around all day looking for an open vision center.

soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Ehhh I'm no help my older two both have contacts although DD probably chooses to wear her glasses almost as much as she does her contacts. Although we are a bit different in that everyone in my house except dh has to wear them full time all the kids got my eyesight :(
CampHarris
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:30 PM

LOL.  I hear you.  I'm not sure how DS has escaped my powerfully bad vision to this point, but he's only 9 so there's still time.  Their dad is also practically blind, so I can't see him making it to adulthood with his vision intact.  Poor kids were cursed, lol.

How old were your two when they got them?

Quoting soonergirl980: Ehhh I'm no help my older two both have contacts although DD probably chooses to wear her glasses almost as much as she does her contacts. Although we are a bit different in that everyone in my house except dh has to wear them full time all the kids got my eyesight :(

luckyinlife
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't get contacts until I was 20 something. They were a huge pain in the ass. When I moved to Las Vegas I stopped wearing them. The climate is super dry and if I didn't put eye drops in obsessively my eyes would hurt!

This reminds me I need to get a new prescription so I can buy new glasses soon. Mine broke beyond repair and I am tired of being half blind.

soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
They were both 12 the start of middle school. I couldn't really say no because I felt their pain about glasses I hate mine and very rarely wear them. I'm working up the nerve to get lasik right now.

Quoting CampHarris:

LOL.  I hear you.  I'm not sure how DS has escaped my powerfully bad vision to this point, but he's only 9 so there's still time.  Their dad is also practically blind, so I can't see him making it to adulthood with his vision intact.  Poor kids were cursed, lol.

How old were your two when they got them?

Quoting soonergirl980: Ehhh I'm no help my older two both have contacts although DD probably chooses to wear her glasses almost as much as she does her contacts. Although we are a bit different in that everyone in my house except dh has to wear them full time all the kids got my eyesight :(

CampHarris
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 1:32 PM

LOL!!!  When I was like 12 I had a pair of red glasses (think late 80s) and my friends from middle school still refer to them as my "Sally Jessy Raphael glasses."  

Those and the pink glow in the dark ones that were so cool back then.  Of course, jelly shoes were also a thing back then too, lol.

Ironically, my middle school friend just posted a pic to my FB of her 6-yo DD... she just picked out a cute pair of red glasses.  History repeats itself... :)

Quoting pdxmum: I didn't want to wear glasses when I walked down the aisle in '86. I was 24. Both DDs got contacts late in middle school. ODD dances and YDD acts. They were necessary. I haven't worn contacts in about 15 years. I love my glasses. My current pair is red and orange.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)