Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Typical Is Your Marriage?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:04 AM
  • 3 Replies

How Typical Is Your Marriage?

Every married couple is unique, but we can't help comparing ourselves with everyone else, can we? How typical are you and your spouse? We compiled a whole heap o' data so you can find out!

Here's everything from the average age Americans get married to how often we make whoopie and how many women take their husband's name. Do you fall in line, or were there some surprises?

• The Most Common Age to Get Married The Most Common Age to Get Married

According to the Pew Research Center, the average age for a woman's first marriage is 27. For men, it's 29.

• How Long the Average Engagement Lasts How Long the Average Engagement Lasts

According to Wedding Paper Divas, 40 percent of couples are engaged for 13 to 18 months before getting married. 

• How Much the Average Wedding Costs How Much the Average Wedding Costs

The average wedding cost in the United States is $26,444, but most couples spend less than $10,000. 

• How Often Married Couples Have Sex How Often Married Couples Have Sex

According to the National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior, among couples age 25-29, 46-47 percent report having sex "a few times per month to weekly" and 35-37 percent have sex "2-3 times a week."

Among married couples age 30-39, 47-50 percent report having sex a few times per month to weekly, and 22-26 percent say they have sex 2-3 times a week.

• How Many Couples Cohabit Before Marrying How Many Couples Cohabit Before Marrying

According to the National Survey of Family Growth, 68 percent of couples cohabit before getting hitched. 

• How Many Gay Marriages How Many Gay Marriages

According to the Census Bureau's American Community Survey there were 251,695 same-sex married couples in the United States in 2013 -- that's out of about 60 million married couples total. 

• How Long Couples Wait Before Having a Baby How Long Couples Wait Before Having a Baby

More and more couples are starting their families before they get married. Still, the average married couple waits three years before having their first baby.

• The Couple Who Games Together Stays Together The Couple Who Games Together Stays Together

Seventy-five percent of spouses of gamers report feeling dissatisfied with their marriages, according to a 2012 study. But when both spouses game, their satisfaction increases.

• The Happiest Point in a Marriage The Happiest Point in a Marriage

Forget what you've heard about newlyweds and the honeymoon phase. Soon after the festivities are over couples often fall into a funk -- or at the least an adjustment phase. The happiest point of your marriage is just after the first year. 

• Interracial Marriages Interracial Marriages

Mixed-race marriages are becoming more and more common. back in 1980 only 6.7 percent of married couples were interracial. As of 2010 they were up to 15 percent.

• Married Couples Who Finish College Married Couples Who Finish College

College graduates are more likely to marry than people with some college or only a high school degree. They're also the most likely to stay married longer. Stay in school, kids!

• How Many Married Women Keep Their Name How Many Married Women Keep Their Name

Facebook and Daily Beast looked at 14 million female, married, active Facebook users. Out of those, 65 percent of women in their 20s and 30s took their husband's name when they married

• Dual-Career Couples Dual-Career Couples

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, both spouses are employed in 47.7 percent of married-couple families. About 20 percent of married couples are supported by the husband only, and 7.5 percent are supported by the wife. 

by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
luckyinlife
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:24 AM
I was 29 he was 31, we got married on the one year anniversary of our first date. I had ODD and was pregnant with our first. Neither one of us are gamers. It was easier after the first year, but never bad. The one thing in our life that is always good is our marriage and life stress has yet do anything but make us closer and a stronger team.
BHLF4
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:08 AM

This is not the first marriage for either of us, but I was 34 and he was 39.  We got married after dating for about a year and a half, it was only about 6 months from getting engaged to getting married.  But getting engaged was more of a discussion about our future and the best path for us to take, as opposed to a romantic hearts and flowers kind of thing.  We went to a Justice of the Peace so the only money spent was on the marriage license and rings.  I took his name and me are only into our 2nd year of marriage.  We've had some ups and downs, but we stick together and work out our issues. 

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 11:58 PM
When we got married, I was 23 and he was 28.

We were engaged for about six months.

I don't remember the exact cost of the wedding but it was less than $10,00 by a lot. We didn't spend a bunch of money. We were more practical. We decided it was better to put the money into our new life together.

We have sex on average 3-4 times a weeks, sometimes more sometimes less.

No we did not cohabitate before we were married but he spent the night a lot.

We are a straight couple lol.

I was pregnant in less than a year. We both had children before we were married. Our first baby together was born 6 months after our first anniversary.

We both enjoy video games.

We had a honeymoon phase but the first year was the hardest, getting to know each other, balancing work, kids, animals, families, his ex, etc.

We are both the same race. Hes of Italian decent and I'm of Irish decent.

I have a GED and a BA in education and I am considering going for my masters. He has a trade school certificate and a HSD.

I took his name.

We both have careers that we enjoy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)