Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suspended drivers license

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:30 PM
  • 19 Replies
Bm is 10 days away from having her drivers license suspended due to failure to pay child support. Anyone have a clue what to do if she shows up driving to pick up sd?
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustOneAndDone
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:35 PM

My ex had his suspended for over a year AND we do exchanges at the police station.

They don't care.

I told the cop at the front desk and he said "don't worry, if he gets pulled over, most likely they will let him go because he has a kid with him, but if not, they'll just impound the car and tell him to get a cab"

Cops have bigger things to worry about.  A DL being suspended due to unpaid support doesn't equal an unsafe driver.

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Unless that court order specifies that a licensed driver be available for pick-up, you cannot deny visitation based on "knowledge" that her license is suspended.  Nothing about visitation changes. 

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Kiss SD goodby and say see you soon.

it isn't like her license was suspended for dripunk driving.  Personally, I think suspending licenses for failure to pay anything is as ass backwards as you can get.

JustOneAndDone
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:58 PM

And all she has to do to get her DL released is make a small payment - and by small I mean SMALL.

My exh was $15k in arrears when his license was finally suspended.  He made went to court, cried to the judge and told him that he was unemployed and said he couldn't get a job without a car.  The judge ordered him to pay FIVE DOLLARS that day - FIVE - and released his license.

It's really no big deal.

jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:59 PM

Well, that's frustrating (that the cops won't likely do anything about it).  I've not been in that situation myself. 

whatIknownow
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Do nothing. Hopefully she'll pay up by then.

hotspice58
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:08 PM

Nothing.  If she gets stopped, the cop is supposed to handle it.

tiafez
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:29 PM

You can have Dad ask his atty. but in the long run the police probably won't do anything unless she gets stopped :(

CampHarris
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Yep, like the others have said, there's really nothing you can do. 

My ex drove on a suspended license (also revoked for non-payment of CS) for years.  In a way I hoped he would get pulled over, but then again, the kids would be with him, sooo... he eventually paid a little and got it back, but yeah.  There's pretty much zero you can do.

miapia1020
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:57 PM
I think it's dumb but the state does it automatically. They've also suspended her privilege to having a passport. Like really? How does that help anyone?

Quoting pdxmum:

Kiss SD goodby and say see you soon.

it isn't like her license was suspended for dripunk driving.  Personally, I think suspending licenses for failure to pay anything is as ass backwards as you can get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)