• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT-Hockey?! help?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:06 PM
  • 11 Replies
SO is a huge hockey fan. I have pretty much always lived in the south so hockey is foreign territory. I'm a basketball fan.

From what I am gathering they are allowed, encouraged? To hit each other and lots of them are missing teeth. And there are a lot of Candians.

Help! Any hockey fans out here?

( I was immersed in the all star weekend, all weekend, and realize I have NO clue...)
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 9:49 PM
The fighting is the best part!! Just dress warm when you go to games!

I didn't know you were back in a relationship! Go get em' girl!
jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 1:59 AM
1 mom liked this

HUGE Hockey fan/family here.   Ask away!   :D 

Yes, hitting is encouraged, but it must be done correctly or they'll sit in the penalty box for a bit (though in the all-star game, this 3 on 3 format isn't the same as a regular game).  Many are Canadian players, but not 'most' anymore.  There are many from Eastern European countries and a good number from the US as well these days.  (same for college hockey!)   Teeth?  Meh, they can be replaced.  ;)  No, actually more of them HAVE their teeth than used to.  For youth hockey these days, full cages are required, so they don't lose their permanent teeth as early, and it's even allowed to wear a half shield in college hockey (some leagues anyway) and sometimes even the full cage in Juniors.  

The enforcers (hitters) are my favorite players usually!  ;) 

shoult
by Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol. I'm from MN and hockey is a way of life in this state. We start kids in skates before they have even mastered walking. If you need more background watch Miracle, which is the story of the 1980 US gold medal Olympic team. 

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 8:13 AM
3 moms liked this
...or the Mighty Ducks. Because that was the shit if you were a kid in the 90s.

Quoting shoult:

Lol. I'm from MN and hockey is a way of life in this state. We start kids in skates before they have even mastered walking. If you need more background watch Miracle, which is the story of the 1980 US gold medal Olympic team. 

CampHarris
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 1:30 PM

We're big time hockey fans.  It's the only sport either one of us can stand.  DF plays hockey once a week in a recreational league, too.  Hockey players are hot (well, when they have all their teeth), lol.

CampHarris
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Especially if you were a kid in the 90s living in So CA, lol.

Quoting PumpkinSpice8: ...or the Mighty Ducks. Because that was the shit if you were a kid in the 90s.
Quoting shoult:

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 2:20 PM
Fuck if I know. SO is crazy about it too, even plays in an online league... I don't even get the rules.
jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 2:34 PM

Years ago, I dated (briefly) a fellow hockey fan.  We were at a minor league game (they aren't here anymore).  One of those arenas where every seat is a good one because there aren't many seats in the place.  ;)  A 4-some of ladies had a 'girls night out', sat in front of us, drinking a lot.  Two turned around and started asking the guy I was seeing some hockey questions (didn't understand the game at all), totally ignoring me.  I listened to him explain the game, like a man would, without considering his audience (and watched the dumb looks on their faces).  He was cute (why he was with me was beyond me, we didn't last long though) and they were so obviously flirting with him. 

Anyway, I listened to him through the first period trying to explain the game and they just were NOT getting it.  I then asked the gal in front of me if she was going to continue flirting or if she/they were actually interested in learning the game they paid to watch.  She said she really wanted to know but didn't 'get' what he was saying, so I asked them what sports they already knew/understood, then compared it to how hockey is played.  Before the end of the 2nd period they knew the game well enough to know one end from the other, and to cheer at the appropriate times, and even 'see' a call when the players did something wrong too.  :) 

One finally asked me how I knew so much.  I told them my XH plays, my old roommates taught me the game years ago, and my ODS played currently, so I knew it from all sorts of angles.  I love the game, and Camp is right, for the most part hockey players ARE hot!  (XH was an exception, I know a few other exceptions too... ;) ) 

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 2:48 PM
Oh, I bet!!! 😀

Quoting CampHarris:

Especially if you were a kid in the 90s living in So CA, lol.

Quoting PumpkinSpice8: ...or the Mighty Ducks. Because that was the shit if you were a kid in the 90s.

Quoting shoult:

debbiekc1975
by Member on Feb. 2, 2016 at 12:49 AM
We are a hockey family. Dress the kids and yourself warm (some things are very cold some warmer), hitting and fighting friend on the age level. US hockey didn't allow for even checking until bantams (14/15 year old). High school/collage/jr hockey and pro get rough but it's a lot of fun.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)