Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm Overwhelmed!

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:27 PM
  • 21 Replies

My partner (J), his dad and I will be taking his son down to Disney World next week for our first family vacation. J and I have been together for nearly two years. I'm divorced with no kids. His son is 7... This will be my first kid-centric vacation. The thought of spending a week with his dad and son (both of whom I've never traveled with before) doing kid things is a little overwhelming at the moment. I get along great with both of them but I'm still feeling a little nervous. Do you have any advice for trips like these?

by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hotspice58
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Take deep breaths!!  Do you like Disney?

5280life
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Thanks... I'm always forgetting to breathe. :)

and I do like Disney.

Quoting hotspice58:

Take deep breaths!!  Do you like Disney?

minimoo
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this
I would just focus on having fun. There will be 3 adults watching 1 kid, so there probably won't be a whole lot "needed" of you. Grandpa will probably want to spend time with his grandson. It definitely sounds like fun!
tiafez
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this

relax and just go with the flow!!

jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:09 PM
2 moms liked this

This actually sounds ideal to me.  I'm a BM, not a SM (my boys have a SM) but I'm also a Disney person.  I say this sounds ideal because you like Disney, and you are bringing another trusted (I assume) adult along who will also want to see that SS7 enjoys his time at Disney.  This will allow some 'family' time, where the 4 of you ride rides, or see shows (or whatever it is you want to do there) and also allow some 'alone time' for you and SO to go off and be adults at Disney while GP and SS enjoy themselves too.  Best of both worlds, IMO.  Downtown Disney is great for adult time (but also some to do there for kids as well).  Depending on where you're staying, there may be other things to do as a family or as adults only.  Perhaps you'll want to lay by the pool for some 'alone' time, just you and a book or music, while SO and GP take SS7 off to do something fun too! 

Lots of possibilities to make it FUN and relaxing for all (well, besides the outrageous crowds over spring break, of course ;) ). 

Before you go, see if SO will sit down with you (and even GP and SS perhaps) and make a list of 'really want to see/do' items, 'would be nice to see/do' items, and 'these don't sound that interesting' items.  See what matches on everyone's list, and what are 'just me' type items.  If you'll have access to all parks on all days, that's great, but if not, you'll need to plan out certain things ahead of time (and usually on the Disney sites you can find 'approximate' or 'average' wait times for certain rides/shows too, to help you plan. 

Ask SO and GP if they have in mind any 'games' to play while you wait in lines for rides/shows.  Sometimes people watching is all you need to pass the time, and sometimes you need to have some games stored up to play to make the time go faster. 

Realize that bed times and normal eating times will likely be out the window, and so might normal behavior (from SS7 and the adults ;) ), so, as hotspice said, breath, and realize that on vacation, 'everyone' vacates their norm for a bit, and it's all ok.  There may be meltdowns (unfortunately, in my family, that's me more than my kids - I don't do well in heat or crowds, and FL has both. ;) ) but they are short lived, and they won't be the things that are most remembered from this vacation. 

Have fun, and remember to be a bit of a kid yourself while you're at Disney!  ;) 

TheEms
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Have fun and don't be afraid to take some space if needed.  An entire week can be a lot for someone to be with another persons kid.  

Wednesday800
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:16 PM
4 moms liked this

I think you should share your concerns with your partner so that he might be clued in on any apprehensive vibes you may be giving off.  Also, you can then also make a plan ahead of time of how to deal with any overwhelming feelings while you are there.  If your partner's dad is coming with can you go ahead and pre-plan a date night for just the two of you one of the nights while grandpa watches the son?  Plan for an afternoon just by yourself to walk around disney (Epcot world showcase is wonderful for this!).Even when I was still married to DD's dad and we were a nuclear family, I would take an evening to myself to walk around Epcot at my own pace, doing my own thing.  There's nothing wrong with how you are feeling.

Pristinebay
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 4:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Just be sure to give them some space to enjoy some father - son time together, you can still be around but just show your support of their bonding time. Meanwhile enjoy yourself and rest in the fact that you dont have much responsibility and can kinda go along for the ride. And if you have a chance, try to make some special or meaningful memories with your partner's son so that you two can begin to bond a little bit too. And it can be just simple, little things too, like laughing together, holding hands and just being a fun, kind person to be around so the kiddo can enjoy a great vacation. 

leah829
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:51 PM

My advice is grin and bear it.  You may like it more than you think.  Don't be ashamed to take a break to be by yourself for a few minutes if you need too.  You will do fine!

Loveamom
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:13 PM
3 moms liked this
Cocktails
Haha
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)