Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dental question

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:05 PM
  • 10 Replies
Do you think parents should be punished for not keeping up with children's dental? Maybe "punished" is a harsh term but do you see it as a form of neglect. Like when a child's teeth are literally rotting out of their mputhand parents don't get them to a dentist?
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Perhaps. But let me guess - your boyfriend never did anything about it either.
SammysMomma
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:32 PM
Perhaps. But both parents. Not just one should be in trouble. Because ether parent could fix it but didn't.
livingrlovesong
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:35 PM
punished? Like what? Jail time for a rotten tooth?
XXanonymousXX
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:05 PM
Yes, dental care is just like any medical care. Parents (plural) need to provide it. And, yes, if a CP is neglecting their child's dental health to the point of pain or serious health issues I think their ability to provide proper care should be called into question.
Lildylant10
by Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 12:02 AM
Its actually not my family at all....my son has 2 friends with rotten teeth and I feel so bad for them. It was a simple question because it was on my mind :(
Polkadotted
by Platinum Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 12:16 AM

We just discussed this at work at a training because of one of our students.  The CPS trainer said it was appropriate to call, but it would probably be screened out depending on other details. It turned out the kid we were concerned with had another issue that was causing the decay and there wasn't much they could do but wait for referrals and the oral surgeon that was covered in their plan.

Quoting Lildylant10: Its actually not my family at all....my son has 2 friends with rotten teeth and I feel so bad for them. It was a simple question because it was on my mind :(

CampHarris
by Gold Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 12:25 AM
Why ask it in a stepmom forum then?

Do your son's friends have stepmoms?

But just based on the question, that would depend on a lot of factors.

How old are your son's friends? My kids are 9 and 13 and I've never seen one let alone two kids over the years with visibly rotting teeth.

And I've seen a lot of kids.

Quoting Lildylant10: Its actually not my family at all....my son has 2 friends with rotten teeth and I feel so bad for them. It was a simple question because it was on my mind :(
KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 6:53 AM
My son has an enamel defect. I'm sure plenty of people think I neglect his dental care, when in fact, we're at the dentist more often than everyone else because of it.
ame4c
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 7:31 AM
Have you seen the cost of dental care? I think that's probably more of the issue. Just spent about $4000 on my daughters teeth and we haven't even started on the braces yet.
Loveamom
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2016 at 7:33 AM
Parents (either parent) should make and keep dental appointments every 6 months for routine cleaning and X-rays and yearly wellness physical (well child check) as well as dental appointments and dr appointments for illness and as needed.
The regular wellness appointment and dental cleanings are often forgot.

If there is a cavity or rotting tooth. One of the parents should get that taken care of.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)