Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know cars?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:01 PM
  • 8 Replies

My DH is wanting to buy SS16 another car after he totalled the first one.

This time DH is putting the car in his name not mine. We want to get him a good car, but one that is inexpensive in case he gets into another accident.

When my sister totalled her car, we got her another one, so she could get to school and to work. She's in college.

We are looking to spend a little less than what we got my sister's car for.

Any suggestions for good cars under 5k?

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tiafez
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM

police auction? that's where SS got his winter car.

ame4c
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:44 PM
Under 5k? We don't buy our teens anything over 2k.....lol and little red has over 400,000 miles on her. She is a 1990 ford tempo. At that age they will wreck it so we don't put much into the teen car. Now they are expected to save and buy the next one and at that point we look at co-signing a small loan (no more than 3k) this way they can build a credit history. We have 5 kids total and 2 left in the process. The first car is only expected to get them out of high school.
destinyangl21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:56 PM

We want to get a car that will last him until at least he graduates college.

We spend 8700 on my sister's car from the insurance money we got for the wreck.

We also got an insurance check for SS's car but we spent it because he lost his license for six months. Now we are trying to get him another one, this time less expensive in case he wrecks this one too.

Quoting ame4c: Under 5k? We don't buy our teens anything over 2k.....lol and little red has over 400,000 miles on her. She is a 1990 ford tempo. At that age they will wreck it so we don't put much into the teen car. Now they are expected to save and buy the next one and at that point we look at co-signing a small loan (no more than 3k) this way they can build a credit history. We have 5 kids total and 2 left in the process. The first car is only expected to get them out of high school.

judykay1944
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:08 PM

You need a car with a good safety rating for the kid.  I would actually look in the paper for a car being sold by owner. I would also take a tech with me to look at the car to make sure there were no major leaks being covered up by this some slick guy who knows how to do a temp. sealing of them.  Look for water stains in the interior of the car ..HIDDEN LEAKS from windows..oil grease on the bottom of the engine and  and in front differential . in the back  by the rear differential and trans case. If they are really really clean this means they cleaned it off..walk away. Check the oil see if it fresh and ask for maintenance records. Always test drive the car and listen to the engine and the trans when it shifts. Is it a smooth shift or is there a clunk?  Look at tires and see if you see grease or stains because there could be a brake problem or boots that are broken or cracked or axle problems. DO not leave the window open when test driving  or radio on. This way you can hear the noises you are looking for.  Listen for exhaust noise because Cat converters are expensive these days.. but please take a tech with you they can hear things that we can't and smell things that shouldn't smell...good luck but if my kids had cracked up a car once already?? They would be getting a car  at least 10 years old in good shape. 5K is not a bad price to pay for a good used car. I got my son a 98 jeep with 80K on it and he drove that car for 10 years with miles of 300K..he sold it in 2008 for 1500 lol great cars last forever if treated right.y grand daughter had anice little Nissan and it too lasted forever with good gas mileage. KIA has some great ars believe it or niot they have come a long long way . If you get one from a dealer make sure to get an extended service contract put out but the MAKER of that car .  DO not buy an extnded SC that any dealer sells that is NOT put out by the manufacturer of the vehicle. They are rip offs trust me LOL  I dont know where you live but PM me if you need some help. I am a warranty admin for a major car line and can help you maybe.

Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Honda or Toyota in a heartbeat. Most reliable.

ame4c
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 3:47 PM
My point is you should be able to get what you want for about $2000. Either that or your kids need common auto maintenance taught.

Quoting destinyangl21:

We want to get a car that will last him until at least he graduates college.

We spend 8700 on my sister's car from the insurance money we got for the wreck.

We also got an insurance check for SS's car but we spent it because he lost his license for six months. Now we are trying to get him another one, this time less expensive in case he wrecks this one too.

Quoting ame4c: Under 5k? We don't buy our teens anything over 2k.....lol and little red has over 400,000 miles on her. She is a 1990 ford tempo. At that age they will wreck it so we don't put much into the teen car. Now they are expected to save and buy the next one and at that point we look at co-signing a small loan (no more than 3k) this way they can build a credit history. We have 5 kids total and 2 left in the process. The first car is only expected to get them out of high school.

jpickens
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 11:57 PM

I was going to suggest the same.  Honda and Toyotas are good cars. That is what we drove as teens. 

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Honda or Toyota in a heartbeat. Most reliable.

jules2boys
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2016 at 1:45 AM
I'm 48 and I've never wrecked a car. I've never had a ticket (other than when my taillight was out and I didn't know) or an accident. If the teens are "expected" to wreck the car, I'm thinking they aren't ready for the responsibility of driving. Yikes!

As for safety, besides Toyota and Honda, Volvos and Subaru (I think) are supposed to be rated high for safety too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)