• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT - It can all change in the blink of an eye.

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:53 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Things have been going pretty well in the Prog house lately. Although we hit a horrible sting of luck a few weeks ago (our car broke down and was in the shop FOUR times, our AC broke, and my phone is about to spontaneously combust) and have been stretched financially, DH and I managed to keep our good humor.

In this last month DH started a new job, which has promised to train him for office work and give him a cushy salary (though that hasn’t happened yet …). The insurance (which we filled out paperwork for last night) is EXCELLENT! There are other secondary benefits, too – DH has a five minute commute vs. thirty minute commute, a new schedule so he can be home in the mornings and pick SS up from school, he works for an employee focused small shop, etc. etc.

Things have been excellent on my end, too. I started student teaching this week! I will finally graduate college in December. I can finally feel LO kicking (on another note: my ultrasound had to be rescheduled, so I still don’t know gender). SS 9 has been - surprisingly - lovely and clingy, too. Despite some of the aforementioned bad luck, I think things have been going really well.

And then today happened.

I was on my way home from my first day of student teaching - which was AMAZING (I got my first gift from a student!!!)! – and called DH to remind him about our screwy schedule. I asked how he was doing and he said not very good, because he’d spent the entire day in the ER!

First thing this morning, a thirty pound part he was working on, flew off of the machine at 120 RPM. Amazingly it grazed DH in the side of the head, before shooting thirty feet across the room, smashing into the ceiling and denting the I-beam frame of the warehouse, which shattered the part and caused the shrapnel to take out multiple lights and a security camera. DH has no memory of the event. He remembers working on the part and then having his coworkers trying to stem his bleeding with beach towels while they rushed him to the hospital. The hospital and his boss planned on calling me, but DH told them that there was nothing I could do for him (medical wise) and he didn’t want me to stress about it on my first day of school. So I didn’t find out until hours after the fact.

After spending the entire day in the ER he was finally released with seven stiches, a minor concussion, and a killer headache. They told him it missed his temple by centimeters, and if it had actually hit him instead of grazed him he would be dead.  

Hug your family just a little tighter for me. I almost lost my husband today, and just the thought of what could have happen kills me.   : (

by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustOneAndDone
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:48 PM
4 moms liked this

Oh my gosh!!!!  How terrifying!!  Thank GOD he is ok!!

I cannot even begin to imagine how you mus feel right now, knowing how close he came.

Makes all the positives in your life even more positive doesn't it?  Congrats on your first day and your upcoming graduation, and saying a prayer for continued healing for your husband.

cdrainey3
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this
So scary! Glad he's okay!
BasketCaseAnn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry. Hugs and best wishes to your family ❤
soonergirl980
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 12:50 AM
2 moms liked this
I am so thankful for you that your husband is ok. I unfortunately (or fortunately I guess how you look at it) have a daily reminder of this in the form of some shrapnel that was once part of my DHs truck in Iraq. I hate that stupid thing.
pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 2:08 AM
Thank goodness he's ok. And thank you for the reminder.
jkp027
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Glad your husband is ok, and you are right, we sometimes forget how blessed we are, praying for his speedy recovery.

CampHarris
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh my god... Thank god he's okay!!!!! That's terrifying!!!!
MLeto208
by Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

oh wow!  Glad he's ok!!! 

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 1:06 PM
3 moms liked this

omg that is so scary!!! if it dented an ibeam, thank GOD it didnt hit him full on!

Mznaye
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2016 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)