Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Felling left out...

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:15 PM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've been raising SD since she was 2 1/2. DH has full custody. Now that she's a teenager, I've been feeling a little left out of her life. We've always been close. But lately, she's always with friends or holed up in her room. I know it's normal teen behavior, but it still sucks when it happens.

Well, yesterday, she was off with her friends before I even got home from work. I picked up the younger kids from the babysitters and got them ready for trick or treating. I texted her to take pictures, so I'd have one of her in her costume. That about the normal amount of communication between her and I lately. As we were out with the younger ones, we see them passing by. We wave in accknowledgement, but, her group of friends came over to us. SD introduced us to a few of them we didn't know yet. But it was how, that made me smile. She said, "This is my mom", and gave me a big hug, right in front of her friends.

It meant a lot to me, especially since I have been feeling like I was being left out of her life lately.
by on Nov. 1, 2016 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

this sounds like totally normal teen stuff. maybe ask her for some of her time to bond when shes not busy, but i dont think it warrants any discussion.

BasketCaseAnn
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2016 at 3:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Awe! This is really sweet. Savor that moment for as long as you can. She's a teen and it's a good thing that she's busy and seeing friends. The hardest part about raising children is that the goal is to raise them to be able to some day leave you. You're doing a wonderful job and I'm really glad you got to enjoy that moment.
runinpinkshoes
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2016 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree, she's being a normal teenager. It may feel more personal since she's not your bio daughter, but everything you described sounds exactly like a bio relationship. She obviously loves you and sees you as her mom so just keep remembering that when these feelings come up again. :)
shiarhars
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2016 at 4:25 PM
Awe that was really sweet! I makes me sad because I feel that may be me when SD grows.

Quoting jgirlme: I've been raising SD since she was 2 1/2. DH has full custody. Now that she's a teenager, I've been feeling a little left out of her life. We've always been close. But lately, she's always with friends or holed up in her room. I know it's normal teen behavior, but it still sucks when it happens.

Well, yesterday, she was off with her friends before I even got home from work. I picked up the younger kids from the babysitters and got them ready for trick or treating. I texted her to take pictures, so I'd have one of her in her costume. That about the normal amount of communication between her and I lately. As we were out with the younger ones, we see them passing by. We wave in accknowledgement, but, her group of friends came over to us. SD introduced us to a few of them we didn't know yet. But it was how, that made me smile. She said, "This is my mom", and gave me a big hug, right in front of her friends.

It meant a lot to me, especially since I have been feeling like I was being left out of her life lately.
SBiswick
by Member on Nov. 4, 2016 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

awwww, that was so sweet! She sounds like a kid that you could probably just tell her that you feel a little left out, and would like to make a little time to spend with her. Maybe 1 hr a week or something for just the 2 of you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)